What's on your to brew list?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention @An Ankoù in Lars' book he mentioned Juniperus Communis variants are well, common across Europe and this is what is usually used. This is rare in the US, we're other species can be used with the exception Juniperus Sabina which is toxic. His other warning is to not mistake Juniper for highly toxic Common Yew (Taxus Baccata) which looks similar.

Forgot to mention @An Ankoù in Lars' book he mentioned Juniperus Communis variants are well, common across Europe and this is what is usually used. This is rare in the US, we're other species can be used with the exception Juniperus Sabina which is toxic. His other warning is to not mistake Juniper for highly toxic Common Yew (Taxus Baccata) which looks similar.
Thanks Sadfield. Fortunately, I know yew, but I'm not so familiar with juniper. I'll have to pick the brains of the fellow down at the garden centre next time I visit. Checking through my Amazon orders, I see I pre-ordered Lars' book a month or so ago. While everybody else seems to have a copy, it's not being released here until June 7th. Ah, well, not long to wait.

Have got a WC IPA that's almost ready to drink and a Pilsner coming to the end of fermentation at the mo.

After that the list so far is:

Something Belgian (Dubbel/Tripel)
Grown-up root-beer for a mate
Something with Kviek, maybe using Vic Secret hops just so I can call it Kviektoria's Secret (I'll get my coat ....)
Rebrews of my marmalade IPA and milk stout as both have gone down a storm
A Wee Heavy / Scotch Ale, possibly involving a whisky-soaked oak chip addition
Should probably do another pale for summer as well

Just got a pump for recirculation so will be good to see what that does to my efficiency.

tinkering with a keptini style ale with a saison or an abbey yeast.

I have a tropical IPA carbing and a Heather Ale in the FV. Once clear of that I am going to make a Scottish 60 shilling (fathers day present for FIL) and then Greg Hughes recipe for Roggenbier. I have no idea what Roggenbier is but the spiel made it sound nice

Next up for me is exmoor gold clone as my supply is getting low.
After that it's the Belgian tripel from 'the bible' with citra hop additions, first attempt will see how it goes.

I'm going to try to work through some of the exotic (strong) historical beers from the Durden Park recipe book. I'mj particularly attracted by some of the stouts and one of the browns. Small batched so can ferment in the fridge.
A batch of my Guinness clone, Some Summer Lightning and a large batch of my take on Dead Pony Club need putting on urgently before it gets too hot (and it's getting there quickly). Then it'll be time to experiment with kveik and see if its all its cracked up to be.
So much to brew and so little time.

I'm going to try to work through some of the exotic (strong) historical beers from the Durden Park recipe book. I'mj particularly attracted by some of the stouts and one of the browns. Small batched so can ferment in the fridge.
A batch of my Guinness clone, Some Summer Lightning and a large batch of my take on Dead Pony Club need putting on urgently before it gets too hot (and it's getting there quickly). Then it'll be time to experiment with kveik and see if its all its cracked up to be.
So much to brew and so little time.
Its officially too hot right now. My garage is staying consistently above the 18 degrees I wanted to ferment my heather ale 😕

Its officially too hot right now. My garage is staying consistently above the 18 degrees I wanted to ferment my heather ale 😕
Saflager W34-70 will ferment cleanly up to about 27C. I cap it at 25C to allow for the heat of reaction. Next week's in the high 20s, touching 30, but the week after drops well below 20 with a low of 15. That suits me fine. Funny old weather we're having.

Saflager W34-70 will ferment cleanly up to about 27C. I cap it at 25C to allow for the heat of reaction. Next week's in the high 20s, touching 30, but the week after drops well below 20 with a low of 15. That suits me fine. Funny old weather we're having.

I am using Wyeast Scottish Ale for this one. Just need to hope it turns out ok as I have nothing on the cooling side. Hoping overnight tonight then some slightly cooler days will see the bulk of the years work done close enough to 18

Just did Bavarian style wheat beer, using Fermentis WB-06. Before I used liquid yeast Wyest 3068 - after initial tasting, before it went into bottles, the liquid yeasts gave better flavour - but maybe it needs time.

Tomorrow will brew All together, see how that goes. After that going for Kolsch I did once and it was superb beer - very good for hot summer

Please post your experience, this is definitely on my to try list, but I might wait until autumn/winter before I do a brew day that involves baking.
will do although it might be a few weeks, i am trying to stick to my 3 hop sample brews first.

I was a big user of Coopers kits (albeit with extra hops, grain steeps, sometimes minimashes etc) but the Real Ale was one I didn't get on with. It's got an odd sort of fruity bitterness I didn't like, maybe its the Pride of Ringwood hops that I know Coopers use. But that's maybe just me
Anyway in addition to the AuPA which I regularly made up, the Bootmakers and Innkeepers Daughter are OK, as is the English Bitter for something a bit darker. I didn't like the TC IPA very much, a bit of a disappointment.
But if you are fancy a go at a stout either of the two Coopers stouts are fine, in my view getting up there with best kits I did, with the Irish slightly better than the Original.

Thanks for the info!

There does seem to be a lot of mixed feelings about the Real Ale kit. Primary complaint seems to be its overall bitterness. I'm going to mix it up per the can but probably short to 21 liters to boost the abv and flavor a bit.

I usually do a batch size of about 12 liters. Having 21 liters of something around is going to be different. I don't want the hassle of splitting it up though. Just going to roll with it.

Next brew planned is “Blocktoberfest” a Vienna style lager to tuck away somewhere cold until October. Malt Bill 45% Dark Munich, 45% Vienna, 8% Crystal, 2% acidulated. Single bittering hop at 60m for 25IBU, Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206.

Not 100% sure which way round I'm going to these but;

Belgian Golden Ale
Sort of Sam Smith's Brown ale clone.

Then I'm out of base malt of all types, so will have to do some searching for suppliers for 25kg sacks.

I inherited a Brewferm Dark Abbey (Abdij) from my brother in law who got it 2 years ago in a secret Santa! The yeast is way out of date but the LME should be fine. I’m going to stick in some Muntons extra dark DME and a litre of “coffee” (technically a litre of water that for the last 2 days we’ve put the remains of the filter coffee grains in.) Ive got a Safbrew BE-256 Abbaye to go in it.
A total crazy experiment but hey ho, no better time for it.

I want to do a lager but I'm going to wait until winter to make use of ambient temps. In the meantime, as it's nice outside, I'm going to have a go at a cider - never tried it and I'm just going to ferment it under the stairs whilst the brew fridge is busy with an IPA.

Back