What's on your to brew list?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at the planning stages yet to be honest. Been a long time since I brewed due to health reasons, now waiting for some cash we've been promised to arrive so that I can finally buy an all in one type machine to make things a bit easier for me rather than using my DIY eBIAB setup.

Once I have that, well kinda thinking I want to try to focus on getting paler beers down. I got pretty good at brewing porters before my enforced break, but never quite nailed bitters, pales etc. They were drinkable, but always had an odd flavour lingering in the background. Plus my wife just isn't a huge fan of porter. She'll drink them at a push (especially my mint choc porter.... Which we are totally out of), and loves the old ale I brewed (with a seasonal yeast/brett mix that I could only get the one time....), but her real love is pale ales. Plus it's good to get out of your comfort zone sometimes and try to perfect something your kinda naff at. athumb..

My next brew plan is a lager, a bohemian pilsner to be precise. Never brewed a lager before, more of an ale man, so any tips/tricks/hints would be much appreciated.

My next brew plan is a lager, a bohemian pilsner to be precise. Never brewed a lager before, more of an ale man, so any tips/tricks/hints would be much appreciated.

I’m the same. Have a look at the thread “What’s the point of lager?” in the general beer discussion thread for some great discussion and advice to my same question.

Brand new to brewing but I would really like to brew 1 or more of the following blond ales if I can find a recipe or learn how to clone them,
1) Farmers Blonde (Bradfield Brewery)
2) Woosh (Untapped Brewery)
3) Blonde Bear (Little Critters Brewery)

Trying hard to clone an acceptable Goose Island IPA, missing out on that slight pineapple aftertaste but hopefully a recent purchase of galaxy in an active dry hop will help.
Enjoying my lager at the mo, so for Dark Island....this is the recipe I use

4kg Pilsner Malt
650gm Pale Ale Malt
400 gm Wheat Malt ( I've run out of Torrified wheat so been using wheat malt substitute with no real problem)
250gm Acid Malt

15gm Hercules @ 60 min
15gm Northern Brewer 30 min
Active dry hop with 15gm Saaz 4 or 5 days

Yeast White Labs WLP830
30 ltr Biab mash yielding about 22/23 ltr son for the fermenter

Trying hard to clone an acceptable Goose Island IPA, missing out on that slight pineapple aftertaste but hopefully a recent purchase of galaxy in an active dry hop will help.
Enjoying my lager at the mo, so for Dark Island....this is the recipe I use

4kg Pilsner Malt
650gm Pale Ale Malt
400 gm Wheat Malt ( I've run out of Torrified wheat so been using wheat malt substitute with no real problem)
250gm Acid Malt

15gm Hercules @ 60 min
15gm Northern Brewer 30 min
Active dry hop with 15gm Saaz 4 or 5 days

Yeast White Labs WLP830
30 ltr Biab mash yielding about 22/23 ltr son for the fermenter
Love goose island! They serve it in my local. I usually opt for the midway to avoid getting too squiffy though! Aaaagh! Looking forward to pubs being open again!
WLP830 is great for lagers. Can’t g wrong with that, but if you want some pineapple flavours from the yeast you should try WLP067 coastal haze. Makes everything taste like pineapple! It’s my summer go to yeast. Just makes everything so quaffable!!

what is your recipe for goose island clone?

Hi Cestrian
I've been using this Goose Island IPA Clone - All Grain English IPA Homebrew Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend for some time and using CML US Pale Ale and recently WLP644 and tweaking the hop schedule. Currently substituting the Centennial for Falconers Flight and doing an active dry hop of 40gm El Dorado and 20gm Cascade. It's not as crisp as I would like though so any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks your WLP067 suggestion, I will definately put that on my next shopping list.

I remember Goose being a great beer...had some last year in a hotel in York..it want off but had a strange flowery/artificial taste about it..like the hops were changed...

I think all the breweries change their recipes from time to time depending on what hops are available. they used to serve Deuchars in my old local and i used to swear they changed the hops every other week.

Hi Cestrian
I've been using this Goose Island IPA Clone - All Grain English IPA Homebrew Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend for some time and using CML US Pale Ale and recently WLP644 and tweaking the hop schedule. Currently substituting the Centennial for Falconers Flight and doing an active dry hop of 40gm El Dorado and 20gm Cascade. It's not as crisp as I would like though so any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks your WLP067 suggestion, I will definately put that on my next shopping list.

The hops used are on the Goose Island website

https://www.gooseisland.com/goose-ipa

Decided I'm doing an elderflower wheat tomorrow. I'll do it with fresh flowers and kveik at ferment at 40c. I've dried out over 500g of elderflowers so I'll try some made with that later as a comparison. I'm going to put a gallon in a demijohn and use CML kristalweizen also at 40c just to see what happens.

Decided I'm doing an elderflower wheat tomorrow. I'll do it with fresh flowers and kveik at ferment at 40c. I've dried out over 500g of elderflowers so I'll try some made with that later as a comparison. I'm going to put a gallon in a demijohn and use CML kristalweizen also at 40c just to see what happens.
Elderflower and wheat you say? Mmmmm, that sounds interesting....

Got the ingredients for a cascade and Citra pale ale.
5kg of Maris otter
400g Crystal malt
200g Carapils

80g Cascade
Up to 150g Citra ( I won’t use all of this)
Hop schedule to be determined

MJ M44 yeast.

I've got a brew schedule that takes me out to July 2021!!!!

Mannheimer Braunbier
Helles Bock
Pale Biere de Garde
American Amber
English Porter
Belgian Pale Ale
Oatmeal Stout
Vienna Lager
Dunkelweis
Baltic Porter
Dortmunder
Mexican Style Lager
Munich Dunkel
Vienna Weissbier
Dark Biere de Garde
Winter Spiced Belgian Pale Ale
Xmas Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Dark Saison

I've got a Weissbier waiting to be packaged, then a Belgian strong dark ale to brew......but then I'm not sure what next. Anyone got any inspiration?

Latest posts

Back