What's the crappiest place in the UK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand this thread. We live in a country with such a rich history and varied geography that I'd wager every town maligned in these posts has something beautiful and unique.

When we speak of a town being '****' really what we're talking about is a lack of money, investment and opportunity. The town itself might have a lot to offer.

I'm fortunate enough to have travelled a lot round the UK and I've been to many of the places listed here. Let me pick a few to make my point.

Morecambe - there is little more stunning than Morecambe bay on a bright, clear day with views out to the hills and mountains of the lake district.

Bolton - Le Mans Crescent, a classical revival beauty

Holyhead - a short walk out of town takes you to the clifftop walks of Breakwater Country Park. Walk a bit further and climb Holyhead mountain.

Bradford - the most amazing town hall with its Venetian gothic clock tower.

If you think somewhere's a shithole, it's because you haven't looked hard enough.
Trouble is though, as the example of my home town shows, it's not just a lack of money, investment and opportunity that can be to blame. People can be held to blame as well, for mismanagement. Slough's got tons of rich history- most of it's been bulldozed away now though. And a fair share of money and investment- more than half of which turns out to have been stolen away by the corrupt officials who've been running the town for the past decade or two now, after people finally started looking hard enough, meaning that there's been less money and investment left over for us and our local services, per capita, than we'd have gotten if we lived in Barbados or Latvia. Bearing that in mind, is it any wonder than this town's a shithole, even if there are places of outstanding beauty and eclectic history to be found here?

I was born in Burton On Trent, some areas were beautiful. But my lasting memories are of getting of the train going home for a weekend and the smell! Not only of tje breweries, but also the pork pie factory. In the summer the whole town stank!
I was born there too and whilst the smell of the breweries / hops was lovely - Robirch Pork pies was a completely different matter.

Back