What's the most you've paid for a beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I go to KL quite regularly I stop over at Dubai for a couple of hours to wait to catch my flight to KL as I fly Emirates. at the bar there for Extra cold Heineken it was �£10 a PINT! I alwas have on the way out and 2 on the way back which total now�£40:whistle:

Invest in a pritotity pass!

I honestly can't remember, I went on Google Maps to try and find it and while I found the Olympic Stadium easy enough, I couldn't find the bar or the accommodation we stayed in.

Needless to say when we hit the city centre, prices soon went up but in 1995 I think it averaged around £1-£1.50 a beer.

We were in Slovakia 2 years ago in Zilina and it was €1 a pint. That's the cheapest I've found recently.

The cheapest I have ever come across was at a beer festival in Transylvania, in about 2002, the beer worked out about 12pence per 500ml. It was so cheap the local Romanians kept insisting on buying our beers, I hardly spent a penny. Mind you it must have been weak, I passed through the 20 beer mark and still made it back safely....

The cheapest I have ever come across was at a beer festival in Transylvania, in about 2002, the beer worked out about 12pence per 500ml. It was so cheap the local Romanians kept insisting on buying our beers, I hardly spent a penny. Mind you it must have been weak, I passed through the 20 beer mark and still made it back safely....

I think that beats mine with 7 years inflation :D

Prague sticks in my memory for so many reasons. It's my reason for brewing, my love of beer and my love of the city among other things. I've been back but never managed to end up over that part of the city again. Maybe I will some day.

I Inter-Railed to Romania in 1991 following my footy team. It was just after the revolution and I was the only person who could speak English until the rest of our fans arrived. I was on a £10 per day budget (including digs) but for 3 days, I lived like a king. I was on my own so I sensibly never had a beer but I'm sure I'd have trumped you otherwise :lol:

Not quite sure what the most I have paid is, likely to be around £6-7 in a hotel in London. What makes me a my pals chuckle is when we digress to how much we have drunk over the years when in the RAF and also the fire service. Most of that will have been disgusting night club beer. I reckon I could have bought a house with what slithered through my hands towards the barman lol.

I think that beats mine with 7 years inflation :D

Prague sticks in my memory for so many reasons. It's my reason for brewing, my love of beer and my love of the city among other things. I've been back but never managed to end up over that part of the city again. Maybe I will some day.

I Inter-Railed to Romania in 1991 following my footy team. It was just after the revolution and I was the only person who could speak English until the rest of our fans arrived. I was on a £10 per day budget (including digs) but for 3 days, I lived like a king. I was on my own so I sensibly never had a beer but I'm sure I'd have trumped you otherwise :lol:
I think I inter railed the same summer, with the same live like king on peanuts experience. Only spent a night in Bucharest, in the way down through Romania to Istanbul that time, loved Prague and Bratislava. Also went to the Munich beer festival on that trip. Ah they were the days...

£7.80 for a pint of TT Landlord, a g&t and a large Bells at the Black Bull in Boroughbridge just before Christmas. Beat that....
Brilliant boozer. Took me back to my Yorkshire farming days in the seventies. Lots of ruddy faced men talking John Deere’s and Massey Ferguson’s.
We were en route to Broadstairs in Kent from Skye where there is a great new pub called the 39 steps. They sell lots of lovely beer from all over Britain and most of it is around £3 a pint. They were advertising their g&t’s at £8 !

�£7.80 for a pint of TT Landlord, a g&t and a large Bells at the Black Bull in Boroughbridge just before Christmas. Beat that....
Brilliant boozer. Took me back to my Yorkshire farming days in the seventies. Lots of ruddy faced men talking John Deere’s and Massey Ferguson’s.
We were en route to Broadstairs in Kent from Skye where there is a great new pub called the 39 steps. They sell lots of lovely beer from all over Britain and most of it is around �£3 a pint. They were advertising their g&t’s at �£8 !

Their beer must be good if you went from skye to kent just for a pint

I go to KL quite regularly I stop over at Dubai for a couple of hours to wait to catch my flight to KL as I fly Emirates. at the bar there for Extra cold Heineken it was �£10 a PINT! I alwas have on the way out and 2 on the way back which total now�£40:whistle:

Yep, we stopped in Dubai on the way back from Sri Lanka and very nearly paid £10 for a bag of crisps cos we really wanted some after eating curry for breakfast/dinner/tea for two weeks.
I did the classic ‘Yorkshireman ‘ bit at the till, ‘how much !’ And put them back...

Their beer must be good if you went from skye to kent just for a pint

Ha ha, Actually the beer on Skye is generally pretty ****, but we go South periodically via Yorkshire to Kent to visit relatives. The beer on offer is a big bonus...!

£7.80 for a pint of TT Landlord, a g&t and a large Bells at the Black Bull in Boroughbridge just before Christmas. Beat that....
We were en route to Broadstairs in Kent from Skye where there is a great new pub called the 39 steps. They sell lots of lovely beer from all over Britain and most of it is around £3 a pint. They were advertising their g&t’s at £8 !
I'm sure you already know this if you visit the area regularly, but that corner of Kent was the birthplace of micropubs, such as the 39 steps. Take a look at www.micropubassociation.co.uk, and you'll see that all of the town's ( Deal, Ramsgate, Margate, Herne, whitstable...)along the coast have at least 1 or 2 micropubs, including the butchers arms in Herne, said to be the original. There is a decent train service along the coast, makes for a great pub crawl. I recently walked from Herne bay back to Whitstable, particularly liked the Tankerton Arms and the Handsome Sam.

Broadstairs also has The 4 Candles ( named after the classic 2 Ronnie's sketch). It is a great part of the world for good, reasonably priced beer.

I'm sure you already know this if you visit the area regularly, but that corner of Kent was the birthplace of micropubs, such as the 39 steps. Take a look at www.micropubassociation.co.uk, and you'll see that all of the town's ( Deal, Ramsgate, Margate, Herne, whitstable...)along the coast have at least 1 or 2 micropubs, including the butchers arms in Herne, said to be the original. There is a decent train service along the coast, makes for a great pub crawl. I recently walked from Herne bay back to Whitstable, particularly liked the Tankerton Arms and the Handsome Sam.

Broadstairs also has The 4 Candles ( named after the classic 2 Ronnie's sketch). It is a great part of the world for good, reasonably priced beer.

I know the area well, I live in east Kent. I'm a regular visitor to Handsome Sam's & 'the Tank'. It's an easy bus ride from Sams - tank - Ferkin Frog - Bouncing Barrel. And if you've still got the stamina, - Copper Pottle - and finally the Butcher's Arms in Herne. They're all on the same bus route (every 15 mins), so a rover ticket or better still a bus pass is a necessity.

Thanet too is great for micro's. You mentioned the 39 steps and 4 candles (not open weekday lunchtimes), there's also Harbour Arms, Fez, & Lifeboat in Margate, The Chapel in Broadstairs, & Nauticles in Ramsgate. There's probably more, but I can personally vouch for these.
Not that I drink much of course :whistle:

Back