whats the worst?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alandkell

Reaction score
no the tom challenge isnt finished yet so not allowed to give comment to that! but whats the worst wine,cider or general brew you have made out of interest and so i can avoid it! :thumb: :rofl:

Since I resumed winemaking and brewing last March, nothing, although I did pick up a supermarket grapefruit juice by mistake and tried a Grapefruit Wurzel. It fermented out to dryness and has softened quite a lot, but has an acidic sharpness like a cheap Hock. You could drink it, if you were desperate, but I will keep it for blending.

On the same subject I've just bottled a Mango & Papaya (from fruity ‘tea bags’) which was a bit lacking in something, and an Elderflower & Gooseberry, only 1 lb of gooseberries but still a bit too much of something. Blended 2:1 it's really very nice indeed, so never chuck anything away.

Back in the dim-and-distant, CJJ Berry's Coffee wine (from “First Steps”) is probably the only one I can recall pouring straight down the sink.

Iv'e on ever made one un-drinkable wine and that was my first and only attempt at KILJU aka sugar wine. I tried one mouthfull and then it went straight down the sink. Altho i was tempted to make C.J.J's coffee wine.

Never got into rhubarb or plum wines, anything with a large percentage of dried fruit (raisens, sultanas etc) tastes too much like sherry for me.

Pineapple was the worst I've made, but then I did use Allison's bread yeast, didn't know any better.

Longest I've waited to drink is 5 gallons of last years blackberries and 5 gallons of plum. They're getting better, not there yet though. Goozegogs wine is fantastic from my neighbours fruit, sadly down to my last three bottles.

Just been racking last years pears with apple juice and its very drinkable, must get more pears this year

Is CJ Berry still a definitive reference or is he getting a bit fuzzy round the edges with age?
Honest enquirey as after reading so many posts about "country wine" I am seriously thinking about having an attempt.

Oh I'd say he's probably a bit fuzzy around the edges with age. It should probably be read, but although I use it all of the time for recipes, it's a long while since I've ready any of the main text. Question any recipe which calls for more than 3lbs of sugar.

I think the worste wine I ever made was Banana and pear, sounded lovely and could have been a great wine but alas 5 gallons of vinegar Tasted awful.

Latest posts

Back