What's this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMyd666

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All. I was going to try summat different but wonder what this could be closest to; dunkelweizen, Belgian brown, something else?

20 litres
1.5kg Pale lme
1.5kg wheat lme
1.0kg dextrose
500g brown candy sugar crystals
Steep 70g Roasted Barley and 50g chocolate malt
20g Willamette and 15g Northern Brewer at 60mins
20g Celeia at 10mins
Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat yeast
OG 1070
FG 1012
ABV 7.7%
IBU 19
SRM 19

It's got the specs of a weizenbock but won't taste quite the same as you're getting colour from roast malt instead of munich and darker crystal malts. Could be an interesting one.

It's got the specs of a weizenbock but won't taste quite the same as you're getting colour from roast malt instead of munich and darker crystal malts. Could be an interesting one.
Yep, should be interesting! Not sure if the ratios are correct though

Your IBU/OG is a bit low but in the ball park for weizen / bock / scottish ales. On a second look you have a lot of sugar in this, might come out quite thin. Have you brewed this yet? Is there a reason you want all that dextrose?

That's what I was wondering. Might up the northern or Willamette to up the IBU to 25. Possibly half the dextrose to not thin out too.much?

Yeah, both those would probably improve the beer. I did a rough calc and dropping the dextrose completely is likely to put you around 1.052, so halving it lands you around 1.061.

Yeah, both those would probably improve the beer. I did a rough calc and dropping the dextrose completely is likely to put you around 1.052, so halving it lands you around 1.061.
Maybe even drop the volume to increase the body.

I've changed it about now. Just waiting for Brew2bottle to deliver. Thanks for your advice!👍

Kinda like a Belgian Brown Thing
15 litres

1.5kg Pale lme
1.5kg wheat lme
500g brown candy sugar crystals
Steep 70g Roasted Barley and 50g chocolate malt
15g Willamette and 10g Northern Brewer at 60mins
20g Celeia at 10mins
Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat yeast
OG 1071
FG 1016
ABV 7.1%
IBU 26
SRM 23

That looks like a better recipe to me, nice and strong, kinda belgian inspired weizenbock. :-) The homebrewer style special.

Latest posts

Back