Whats up with my brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am after some advice please.
Am about to bottle a Festival Gluten Free IPA. Started 8/2 dry hopped 18/2 but life has got in the way.
On the floating hops there is this white plate like material.
Any suggestions as to what it is, should I bottle it? Tastes OK, have it in the bottling bucket,
Many thanks

Attachments

• 20220315_154826.jpg
    20220315_154826.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220315_155821.jpg
    20220315_155821.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 59
Am after some advice please.
Am about to bottle a Festival Gluten Free IPA. Started 8/2 dry hopped 18/2 but life has got in the way.
On the floating hops there is this white plate like material.
Any suggestions as to what it is, should I bottle it? Tastes OK, have it in the bottling bucket,
Many thanks
What yeast did you use? How does the ABV compare with the target ABV?

Is there a slight vinegar smell?
Nothing to worry about. It looks like an infection from airborne acetobacter. Bottle it up with minimum splashing and only leaving about 1-2 cm headspace. It can't do any harm at all unless it has oxygen. Consider it an antioxidant. Bottle sooner rather than later, though.

Is there a slight vinegar smell?
Nothing to worry about. It looks like an infection from airborne acetobacter. Bottle it up with minimum splashing and only leaving about 1-2 cm headspace. It can't do any harm at all unless it has oxygen. Consider it an antioxidant. Bottle sooner rather than later, though.
Cheers, no vinegary smell. It's clear, has a bright taste. Racked into the bottling bucket, left a fair bit behind so 🤞. Bottled.

Did you break up the mass from photo one to photo two? Photo one totally looks like an infection.
Personally, I've never had anything like that. I probably would have just thrown it away since it could effect the bottle carbing process.
If you haven't already mentioned it, maybe give an update in a month?

Did you break up the mass from photo one to photo two? Photo one totally looks like an infection.
Personally, I've never had anything like that. I probably would have just thrown it away since it could effect the bottle carbing process.
When I shyphoned it over to the bottling bucket, I kept the syphon tight to the side. I think the breakup is the hop cake moving, the white stuff broke into pieces, akin to flakes of soap. Bucket now filled with 30l of hot water and 60g of sodium percarbonate. Brew bottled. Is in lidded crates just in case.

When I shyphoned it over to the bottling bucket, I kept the syphon tight to the side. I think the breakup is the hop cake moving, the white stuff broke into pieces, akin to flakes of soap. Bucket now filled with 30l of hot water and 60g of sodium percarbonate. Brew bottled. Is in lidded crates just in case.
+1 for Sodium Percarbonate - can’t be beaten IMHO

It smells OK so why chuck it out?
How could it affect the bottle carbing process? It's a pellicle on the surface of the beer-likely aerobic, then. Cut off the air supply and it goes to sleep.

Latest posts

Back