What's up!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M-d

Reaction score
Hey all.

I've recently starting brewing with a friend after considering it for a long while. My friend previously worked in a craft beer bar and shadowed the brewers there a few times, creating his own recipe and leading a brew once.

With his experience we decided to jump straight in to all grain, (with a lot of enthusiasm, and just not quite enough research).

Our first brew day was last Saturday, we brewed our own recipe, a 3 hop American ale, and everything went fine until it came to cooling the wort.

We lacked the right equipment to cool and monitor the temperature at the same time, so we opted to allow the wort to cool slowly to remove the risk of killing the yeast.

The brew is fermenting now, so just going to have to wait and see what the result is.

After a fun day and some lessons learned, I have decided to join the forum to speed up the learning process and hopefully in time share some knowledge.

Going to build a DIY wort chiller tomorrow and get another batch started Saturday.

Peace!

Welcome M-d.
What do you mean "we opted to allow the wort to cool slowly to remove the risk of killing the yeast." ???
At what stage did you add the yeast?

Welcome M-d.
What do you mean "we opted to allow the wort to cool slowly to remove the risk of killing the yeast." ???
At what stage did you add the yeast?

Thanks!

We added yeast once the beer had cooled to around 24°C, just unfortunately this took a couple of hours with ice packs around the kettle.

Our kettle has a temperature control system and thermometer. If we moved the wort to the fermenter, to cool the wort quicker by placing the bucket in cold water, we would not have had a temperature read out so would have been guessing when it had cooled enough.

Next time I will have a wort chiller and a seperate thermometer.

Got it.
Any old immersion thermometer will do on the cold side, provided it's sanitised, as a couple of degrees error either way, doesn't really matter. (That's not true for the mash temperature, by the way).
Sounds as if everything went well and you were able to adapt to the unanticipated. Happy brewing. Let us know how it turns out.

Got it.
Any old immersion thermometer will do on the cold side, provided it's sanitised, as a couple of degrees error either way, doesn't really matter. (That's not true for the mash temperature, by the way).
Sounds as if everything went well and you were able to adapt to the unanticipated. Happy brewing. Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks again! Yeah it went well considering it was our first go and we went straight into all grain. Also learned a lot.

I will post results when we bottle! Looking forward to it!

Back