What's ya cost saver?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those were on it's 3rd gen. Air dried, checked for rot and thrown in. They pick up so much flavour from previous brews. They are like little sponges of goodness.

Fascinating process, I kept the last 2 dry hops I did by tipping my bags out into a Tupperware container and bunging it in the freezer. Was going to try bittering something with them. Any tips on how much to use compared to normal?

First time I dry hopped my next thought after bottling was if they could be used for bittering the next brew, haven't tried it yet but next time I will use some of the dry hops to the following boil as a trial

I reuse yeast every other brew, seems a waste to throw them away while they're still healthy and hungry for sugars

Last edited:
Reusing yeast. I’ve also never bought a new bottle. Have about 100 swing tops bought from Facebook for £10 and various commercial bottles (only the ones that the label will soak off!)

Similar...I have family that own a hotel so I collect 500ml bottles from them, strip labels, sanitise and reuse. I also sometimes buy a case of beers keep the bottles and the box and put all the beers i make back in the box for easy storage

My best cost saving is, I’m not recycling fewer bottles or plastic bottles.
Hi chillipickle,
I realise you are probably joshing here, but I'm having difficulty understanding the meaning of this.
By, "I'm not recycling fewer bottles" do you mean you are recycling MORE bottles, as it is a type of double negative?
Or was it a spell checker thing, or maybe did something happen to the punctuation to change the meaning ?
Please understand I'm not trying to be difficult here, I would simply like to know what the joke was (honest!).
Regards,
Robin.

Last edited:
After brewing a beer kit I'll reuse the slurry for a ginger beer. So the cost is the ginger and whatever fruit I add. Usually I've used Lidl premium lemonade rather than water as it's already sugary and I reuse the bottles. But this weekend I'll be bottling my first batch just using water. My shed smells amazing right now so can't wait to drink the trial jar.

Assuming it's gone OK I figure this one will be drunk in May and cost ~£5 for 5 gallons.

I also want to get a few demi johns to test out different flavour sodas.

Last edited:
So that I have this correct in my head, when your talking about reuse hops, I assume this is limited to leaf hops? Remove them from the dry hop and put them in as bittering for the next brew.

I ferment in a keg linked to a serving keg which purges it with CO2 and I pressure ferment which carbonates by beer while fermenting.
So my only savings are on CO2.

So that I have this correct in my head, when your talking about reuse hops, I assume this is limited to leaf hops? Remove them from the dry hop and put them in as bittering for the next brew.
Pop pellets in bags. They turn to mush. After use, freeze them and then just chuck them into your next brew.

obadiah - which retailer supplies 25 kg of pale malt etc for under £20 ?
We buy in bulk from the malster - we combine our needs and have a 40bag pallet delivered roughly every 3 months

We bypass the retailer

People then collect from CW11

This is why collaboration is so key

Don't know where you live but if you are near enough to us join our group - if not why not start your own local buying group?

My cost saver is thin cheapo bleach which I dilute and use to sanitise all of my stuff.

Maltmiller has 50g of calcium chloride flakes for £1.50. I bought a kilogram for £2.38 and it comes in a really cool box :

QQ110165.jpg
And yes, that's genuinely what I use and I'll do all the crybabying for you to save you the bother - wehhhh, wehhhhh!!

My top money saving tip is not to browse the Homebrewforum website late at night.

Ooo, I think I need a PartyStar tap and some mini-kegs.
Hmm, those shiny fermenters look really nice.
Must try one of those Dark Farm min-kegs.
Kegerator... lovely, yes please.

This website is bankrupting me.

Fun tho 🙂

Back