What's your favourite kit you have brewed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As title really, had a search, found a recent, favourite brew thread, but it was mainly all grain, and i, like others, have not yet made the leap to AG.

Im building a list of kits i want to try, mainly from ones listed in the review section, but not everyone writes a review, and some may not update their review after conditioning.

So, what off the shelf kit is your favourite, did you modify the kit at all from what the packet says?

Look forward to hearing from you guys and gals!

Don't want to hijack this thread, and I will be following it with great interest, but with putting my BIAB and AG adventures on hold until next spring I'm looking for a really nice IPA kit SWMBO could get me for crimbo, if anyone has a good recommendation.

Just read the review for that one with the tweaks the reviewer did to it, sounds very nice, so that on the list :thumb:

Only done 2 so far and the 3rd is in the barrel. The best out the 2 was the Youngs Harvest Bitter with 700g brewing sugar and 500g medium spraymalt.

St.Peters Red Ruby Ale, as per kit instructions, without a doubt.

and from an all grain brewer its up their with the best

Another vote for the ruby red fantastic kit beer.
Just put my 5th kit of this on along with a coopers dark ale which I have heard good things about

iv done the youngs harvest bitter (very short) and brupaks bavarian wheat beer both very drinkable

iceo, thanks, I've seen those recipes. A bit too complex for me yet. The 2 kits I've brewed were coopers english bitter and coopers IPA, with no deviation from the recipe. I'm looking for something a tiny bit more complex than that.

Ph.

phynes1 said:
iceo, thanks, I've seen those recipes. A bit too complex for me yet. The 2 kits I've brewed were coopers english bitter and coopers IPA, with no deviation from the recipe. I'm looking for something a tiny bit more complex than that.

Ph.

they are not that hard to do and you get a better brew at the end. why not do one for the 2 kits you have done but add dme instead of sugar or change the stock yeast and see if it makes a difference

If you don't jump over now you never will. Its not complex at all, ever made a stew? It won't be mucj more difficult than that. There's plenty of support here to.help you :thumb:

My Brupak's Almondbury Old Ale received very good feedback from the last beer swap, they didn't believe that it was a kit beer. It has to have been my most successful brew to date and is a fabulous dark ale for the winter. However my own favourite, simply because it got the response from a lager drinking friend of "I'd buy a pint of that in a pub" is Coopers Sparkling Ale. Even though it's a one can kit, with beer enhancer added its a really good pint, particularly for summer BBQ weekends!

+1 for Festival Golden Stag it's made all my other brews from kits seem flavourless.

Had to move onto extract brewing to increase taste as a result.

Markdon said:
Anyone else got any to add?

Cant add any myself as not started drinking them yet, leaving them til end of jan / feb at very earliest.

You've got some patience there!

I'm down to my last bottle of 7 month old Wherry. I made a surprising discovery last night. Fuller's (bottle conditioned) Bengal Lancer is REMARKABLY similar to how both batches of my Wherry turned out (albeit half a % or so stronger and being called an IPA) which were brewed to 21.5 litres, given extra Gervin yeast and dry hopped for a few days with 40g EKG pellets. If someone had handed me the BL blind from my stock I honestly could have thought it was the Wherry for quite a few mouthfuls, it was that close. BL is also finished with EKGs, so maybe not as surprising as you'd think.

I'm on to all grain now so I'm in no rush to ramp any particular kit, but last night's surprise just reminded me how good the Wherry was. Anyone who's brewed it (especially if they've dry hopped with EKGs) should try the Bengal Lancer: I think they'll be surprised. :cheers:

Back