Whats your oldest homebrew wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
In the early 80's when we were making wine, me and a mate decided to have a go at dandelion wine.
The recipe called for pulling the yellow petals out of the flowers.
Considering how many dandelion heads we'd have to deflower just to make 1 gallon, we decided to take a short cut, and use whole flower heads instead.

The wine turned out rank bad. Our taste buds telling us that it was probably toxic.
1 bottle got opened, and only a glass full poured, the rest was destined for the drain.

Considering that wine matures with age, my dad decided to salvage one bottle, which he kept in his garage.

Only recently did I discover that it's still there. Maybe getting on for about 35 years old.

I wonder if this is long enough for it to mature. ??

I have a bottle of blackcurrant and gooseberry wine from 1996 in the garage. Unfortunately it has been stood upright for most of the past 20 or so years. Cork looks intact and it looks clear enough.

Should I try it??

I have a bottle of blackcurrant and gooseberry wine from 1996 in the garage. Unfortunately it has been stood upright for most of the past 20 or so years. Cork looks intact and it looks clear enough.

Should I try it??

C'mon, your asking on an internet forum. I think you know the answer (If we dont hear from you, we'll assume the worst )

Back