What's your view on Plastic Pressure Barrels (PBs)?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your view on Plastic Pressure Barrels (PBs)?

• I have one or more and like them and will continue to use them

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • I had one or more but gave up on them due to leaks etc

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • I dont want one since I keep my beer in something else

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I am thinking of buying one or more

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have only just bought mine so too early to say

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Since the Covid lockdown and an influx of new members the Forum has had an increase in the number of queries about malfunctioning PBs. So without wishing to influence the outcome ;) I thought a poll might be useful. And this covers all PBs from budget to expensive with all the trimmings, 2" cap to 4" cap.
And if anyone has just bought a PB or is thinking of buying one here's a guide
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-a-standard-home-brew-pressure-barrel.67042/

I have a PB. I don't use it often but have found it's really good for stouts, bitters, basically "English" style beers. I prefer to bottle my beers generally as it's usually just me drinking, but if there's a party or I'm having a lot of guests over I might fill it with something suitable.

It can be leaky but I use PTFE tape on the tap, others use vaseline to get a good seal.

I have one and it is true that it has leaked in the past. This only seems to happen with certain beer styles. Otherwise I have had no problems and I think they are an affordable option as a bit of starter kit.
To be honest I think I prefer to bottle my beers now anyway.

Last edited:
You need another category - I have one, have had several in the past but prefer to bottle.

Assuming no leaks it's always been the case that when you've got pressure all you get is froth when you pull a pint until you're almost about to run out of gas.

I would just change the tap. Was it dripping from the tap outlet or where it connects to the barrel?

I use them because I far prefer draught to bottled beer, they were the only thing available at one time, and I was far to set in my ways when corny kegs etc appeared on the scene. I know all their faults, and put up with them on a better the devil you know basis. There is no doubt that the newer the are, the worse they are, which is a sad reflection of the times. Anyone know in which country they are moulded these days?

I hate bottled beers from the shops! Too gassy and often a different recipe to the draught. If I bottle mine it tastes the same as from the PB.

The management likes her beer chilled so I use 2L and 5L mini kegs. The coldness does alter the taste, as does the CO2 pressure.

I have a PB. I don't use it often but have found it's really good for stouts, bitters, basically "English" style beers. I prefer to bottle my beers generally as it's usually just me drinking, but if there's a party or I'm having a lot of guests over I might fill it with something suitable.

It can be leaky but I use PTFE tape on the tap, others use vaseline to get a good seal.
PTFE tape is a idea, didn't think of that. Thanks

I used the pressure barrel once it leaked from the tap. I have been tempted to try again but I don't think I drink my beer quickly enough.
Are you a sipper or a gulper? :laugh8:.

Takes me 6-7 weeks to empty a 5 gallon King Keg. I have another in progress so it's ready when the first one's finished and trying to start a third one when the second one's finished carbing and starts conditioning. Wouldn't want to run out! ashock1

Latest posts

Back