What's your view on Plastic Pressure Barrels (PBs)?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your view on Plastic Pressure Barrels (PBs)?

• I have one or more and like them and will continue to use them

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • I had one or more but gave up on them due to leaks etc

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • I dont want one since I keep my beer in something else

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I am thinking of buying one or more

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have only just bought mine so too early to say

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have four 3-and-a-bit gallon PBs which must be 25 years old now, and just go on and on. Sadly the shop I bought them from told me they are no longer available. The cheapo 5 gallon variety, marketed by Youngs, have declined in quality over the years, and I suspect their country of origin has changed. No marks for guessing to where.

I always use Vaseline (as recommended by the supplier), and have never had any trouble with the small injection rubbers coming off. A good source for these is the silicon fuel tubing used on glow-plug model aircraft engines by the way.

I was far too set in my ways when corny kegs appeared on the scene, and viewed them as just an expensive way of not knowing how much beer you had left, and an open invitation to over-carbonate beer in the same way the big brewers did in the sixties, and which led to the formation of CAMRA. I have no doubt a lot of people will tell me how wrong I am!

DSC01954.JPG

I have four 3-and-a-bit gallon PBs which must be 25 years old now, and just go on and on. Sadly the shop I bought them from told me they are no longer available. The cheapo 5 gallon variety, marketed by Youngs, have declined in quality over the years, and I suspect their country of origin has changed. No marks for guessing to where.

I always use Vaseline (as recommended by the supplier), and have never had any trouble with the small injection rubbers coming off. A good source for these is the silicon fuel tubing used on glow-plug model aircraft engines by the way.

I was far too set in my ways when corny kegs appeared on the scene, and viewed them as just an expensive way of not knowing how much beer you had left, and an open invitation to over-carbonate beer in the same way the big brewers did in the sixties, and which led to the formation of CAMRA. I have no doubt a lot of people will tell me how wrong I am!

Well I don’t think you’re wrong CD. As someone who almost always over-carbonates bottled beer, my kegs are my best friend and produce beautiful beer for me - every pint a beautiful head (just occasionally, a little too beautiful!).

Sealing the lid seems to be the on going theme..are the square section seals that much better? I seen some on eBay..£6 odd each! Although a Google brings up a 4" automotive square section round gasket for £2...
I'm tempted to buy a KK and see how it goes...if I can find anyone who's got one!
Does anyone use the "lid spanner" device to tighten the cap down?
Also..has anyone tried doubling up the seals and using less torque on the cap?

Sealing the lid seems to be the on going theme..are the square section seals that much better? I seen some on eBay..£6 odd each! Although a Google brings up a 4" automotive square section round gasket for £2...
I'm tempted to buy a KK and see how it goes...if I can find anyone who's got one!

I use the round-section seal as supplied. I do use a cap spanner (trust me you HAVE to) and when I tighten that cap I grip the barrel between my thighs like I’m wrestling a crocodile!

I only need the spanner to undo it sometimes. Buy two spanners and tape together as they are ridiculously thin
If you grease the threads and seal you will NOT need the spanner to tighten it.

Square section seals for king Keg £2.75 on Ballihoo

I've only just got mine, but I got a square seal, and I'm going to use the spanner as well, along with ptfe tape

The leak I had on mine (King Keg) was where the tap fits the barrel when I tried to tighten the nut it kept jumping the thread so, in the end, I got a Brewgas deluxe sparkler tap to replace it.

Far better tap than the original.

The leak I had on mine (King Keg) was where the tap fits the barrel when I tried to tighten the nut it kept jumping the thread so, in the end, I got a Brewgas deluxe sparkler tap to replace it.

Far better tap than the original.

Would these work with the flotation deice on the top tap kegs ?

Would these work with the flotation deice on the top tap kegs ?
Probably. They are 3/4" BSP threads normally so the ID should be standard. If it's a sloppy fit use thread tape over the o-ring or buy slightly thicker o-rings 0 2.5mm instead of 2mm - this adds 1mm to its diameter.

I had severe problems undoing the lid, had to drift it with a hammer initially, definitely not good. Mentioned to my engineering buddy who happens to have a CNC machine about the problem. He produced this, a tad over kill, the material being 17mm thick but it works like a dream.
To get it off, how do you grip a slippery barrel. Solution a wire coat hanger bent with two clips. I put the barrel in the kitchen sink, circular clip on the sink tap base, other end clips to one of the KK handles. Simple, no more wrestling.

Attachments

• KK Spanner.jpg
    KK Spanner.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back