What's your view on Plastic Pressure Barrels (PBs)?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your view on Plastic Pressure Barrels (PBs)?

• I have one or more and like them and will continue to use them

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • I had one or more but gave up on them due to leaks etc

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • I dont want one since I keep my beer in something else

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I am thinking of buying one or more

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have only just bought mine so too early to say

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see no-one's manned up yet to put together and issue a 'How to keep your KK PB going' post.
Point being all these odds and ends of info spread over umpteen threads is not a useful reference point.

I see no-one's manned up yet to put together and issue a 'How to keep your KK PB going' post.
Point being all these odds and ends of info spread over umpteen threads is not a useful reference point.

I think I've seen one at some point, but I'm sure it would be good to put one together, referencing sources etc. I don't have much experience with them myself though.

Yeah just the tap, I think the only ones left are bundled with the barrels!

I can pull something together. In the meantime I’ve resurfaced a thread where I put quite a bit of info - “Leaky Kegs”.

Look in the what’s new section

Yes. I have 2 top tap KKs fitted with these taps.
View attachment 29233

Do you Find the nozzles (sparkler?) are of any benefit?
I have been using some taps i bought off ebay similar but without the nozzle, at the moment only on my corny. I stick a sort piece of pipe in which goes into the beer, i pull it out and wash afterwards, to some degree you can control the amount of gas release by how much you lift the lever, perhaps i am just no connoisseur but it does seem fine enough to me especially at £2 a time.
I am going to make some adaptors to fit them to the plastic barrels (these taps are 19mm x1.5mm thread - ordered a tap to tap the thread for the tap) there will be an issue of getting then to point downwards on the barrels with the threads as the usual quarter turn taps can rotate these don't. Can't put a nut on the back as they only have small apertures on the top so will try using seals of different thicknesses, if that is unsuccessful then it may have to be some kind of gland affair but that will make the tap stick out further and more work but worth it, the lever type taps are much better in my opinion.

I bought a King Keg top tap at the outset but haven’t used it yet. With all the stories about leaking kegs I was reluctant to use it so switched to corny kegs pretty quickly

Do you think people that have corny kegs are just keeping quiet about the issues they have with their kit and just enjoy watching the pressure barrel users talk about their problems

Take a look at all the threads where people say they're sick of corny kegs and are going back to pressure barrels or bottling. Wehh, wehh - I had to buy an entire new set of O-rings and they only made the keg reliable again for about three years and I got so sick of that I sold my kegs for more than I bought them for. Wehh!

Back