WHC Lab Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah I get ya, thanks for clarifying! I can't believe how fruity this yeast smells in the absence of any hops (ie just in the starter). I used El Dorado hops with it so I reckon it's going to be like a fruit salad!

This yeast smells amazing, really fruity. Glad I made a starter though, it was a little sluggish kicking off.

I noticed that a few days ago. A few HBS (like MM) dont seem to be sending out Malt for some reason

MM is sending out malt but will only accept malt orders after 3pm. The thinking behind it was crushing malt on orders that came in that day was causing them to miss the DPD pick up so now when they come in each morning they can organise the milling and still get out orders received that day. So malt orders are 48 hours other orders 24 hours. As I buy uncrushed malt it's APITA.

Keeping an eye on this thread and will be interested to hear the results. Although I have a decent stock of yeast I will try one of these. I only use 2 suppliers and THBC is one of them.

First update on the Brexit yeast. Took a gravity sample a week after pitching into my best bitter and it has dropped from 1.048 to 1.016 so only 67% attenuation (66c mash temp), but I put that down to the Munich malt base, my last two Munich based beers have had similar attenuation. The krausen has dropped but there's still a load of yeast floating on the surface, I'll ramp it up a couple of degrees to make sure it's finished then cold crash it. Anyway, initial taste test is very promising, lovely fruity ester profile, just a touch of green apple but that should condition out. So far so good, and the fact that the packs have a 250B initial cell count is a big bonus.

good to hear about the brexit, the only version ill talk about.

i pulled out my pack of bond and realized it has a best before 12/2019 date on it. so i dumped it in a jar with some of the excess saison wort i brewed. it took about 2 days to begin fermenting and then was a weak version of it very little krausen. i am not sure if i will use it, or may actually do a mixed blend with another one type.

very different than the m84 starter i just did that crushed the starter in less than 12 hours. fastest krausen and drop i have ever seen. that yeast must like heat.

I knew I had used WHC and was quoted earlier in the thread that they came in small plastic containers which mine. Tbh I never bother with a starter and I had ordered their Ragnor Kveik yeast which just pitched and it took off within a few hours. There was a fruity note to it and was very clean but similar to Voss kveik slurry I had been given by @samale.
It was a pity as I had two jars of trub which one I gave to Sam but the other when I went to use it I had forgotten to burp it now and again and when opened it exploded and I dropped it. Ah well but will certainly try a few more. Mine was a few quid dearer though delivery was good.
Screenshot_20200514_145758_com.android.chrome.jpg

I'm just having the first bottle of my bitter fermented with the Brexit yeast and it's really damn good. This is the first bitter I've ever made that tastes like a proper cask bitter, fruity and toasty with light caramel and really drinkable. Very happy with this.

What was your recipe?

Munich Malt Best Bitter

Specs

Batch Size: 20L
Estimated OG: 1.047
Estimated FG: 1.014
ABV: 4.3%
Colour: 15SRM
Bitterness: 32IBU

Grain
3kg Munich I
1kg Munich II
100g Crystal 40
100g Crystal 120
100g Crystal 160

Hops
20g Challenger @ 60 mins
15g Challenger @ 20 mins
15g Challenger @ 1 min

Water
Calcium: 150ppm
Sulphate: 180ppm
Chloride: 150ppm
Alkalinity: 100ppm

Notes
Single step infusion at 66°c for 90 mins
Ferment with WHC Brexit yeast at 20°c

The Munich malt probably isn't very traditional but it adds a nice biscuity flavour that I love in a bitter, plus I've always found MO a little underwhelming.

Munich Malt Best Bitter

Specs

Batch Size: 20L
Estimated OG: 1.047
Estimated FG: 1.014
ABV: 4.3%
Colour: 15SRM
Bitterness: 32IBU

Grain
3kg Munich I
1kg Munich II
100g Crystal 40
100g Crystal 120
100g Crystal 160

Hops
20g Challenger @ 60 mins
15g Challenger @ 20 mins
15g Challenger @ 1 min

Water
Calcium: 150ppm
Sulphate: 180ppm
Chloride: 150ppm
Alkalinity: 100ppm

Notes
Single step infusion at 66°c for 90 mins
Ferment with WHC Brexit yeast at 20°c

The Munich malt probably isn't very traditional but it adds a nice biscuity flavour that I love in a bitter, plus I've always found MO a little underwhelming.

Nice. Dont think I've ever seen a munich bitter before

Latest posts

Back