WHC Lab Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but what made you ferment at 20C @strange-steve ? I note on the WHC website temps range from 18 - 21. Do you think there would be any change in aroma if temperature was dropped or raised?

Ive just ordered with the intention of brewing an AAA, with Amarillo and Centennial.

Cheers, Nick

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but what made you ferment at 20C @strange-steve ? I note on the WHC website temps range from 18 - 21. Do you think there would be any change in aroma if temperature was dropped or raised?

Ive just ordered with the intention of brewing an AAA, with Amarillo and Centennial.

Cheers, Nick
Tbh I just arbitrarily chose something near the top end of the range to encourage some ester production. You could go a little cooler if you want a cleaner yeast profile. I used the Brexit yeast in two different beers, a bitter and a red IPA, both with Munich malt as the base and both of them had a rather muted malt flavour. I put this down to the yeast because never had this problem with Munich before.

Did you have the same sluggish performance from the yeast on the second brew? Was it fermented at 20C also?

Whilst my grain bill is not very malt centric the beer is also not a hop bomb, so I fear it may be a bit of a mute. I'm thinking of either top of the guide or bottom, with a leaning towards top.

Did you have the same sluggish performance from the yeast on the second brew? Was it fermented at 20C also?

Whilst my grain bill is not very malt centric the beer is also not a hop bomb, so I fear it may be a bit of a mute. I'm thinking of either top of the guide or bottom, with a leaning towards top.
With the second brew I made some adjustments to try to boost fermentability, mashed overnight at 64c and had a 5% golden syrup addition. This definitely worked, I got 84% attenuation with it. I also fermented at 21c and it was fine at that temperature, not overly estery.

Latest posts

Back