Wheat beer question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aw72

Reaction score
New here. I am considering brewing a wheat beer using this Coopers recipe.

Ingredients
1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer
1kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt (2/3 of a 1.5kg can)
one sachet of WB-06 or Munich yeast

I have a few questions. Firstly, what can I do with the remaining 0.5kg of wheat extract? Can I use this with my next planned beer, an IPA? Secondly, I have a Mangrove Jack's Wheat beer yeast, would it be better to use this instead of the Coopers yeast included with the kit? And finally what temp to ferment, I was thinking 22degc.

New here. I am considering brewing a wheat beer using this Coopers recipe.

Ingredients
1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer
1kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt (2/3 of a 1.5kg can)
one sachet of WB-06 or Munich yeast

I have a few questions. Firstly, what can I do with the remaining 0.5kg of wheat extract? Can I use this with my next planned beer, an IPA? Secondly, I have a Mangrove Jack's Wheat beer yeast, would it be better to use this instead of the Coopers yeast included with the kit? And finally what temp to ferment, I was thinking 22degc.
No problem using a bit of wheat in an IPA. It'll lighten in a tad and improve the head formation and retention.
I'd be inclined to use the yeast that came with the kit as the beer was presumably designed to include that yeast. However, I won't insist on it, and others might have stronger feelings.
22C would be fine with the MJ yeast; even a bit warmer. If you're using the Coopers' yeast, do the instruction s not recommend a fermentation temperature?

Yes thanks, was thinking of using the full 1.5kg wheat extract. I'm guessing that will increase %abv too.

I made a brew based on the same recipe. I used:

1.7kg Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat beer
1.2kg Coopers wheat LME
Mangrove Jacks Munich M20 yeast fermented around 24C (Coopers themselves advise to replace the kit yeast with a Munich yeast.)
Brewed short to 21 litres
Bottled at 3.8 vols
ABV approx 4.5%

This turned into a nice wheat beer with some nice banana flavour thanks to the yeast. I'm going to brew it again in the next few weeks but I'll substitute the LME for wheat DME and ferment at a higher temp in the hope of getting even more banana out of it.

Ok thanks for the advice. I will try the full 1.5kg Coopers Wheat extract and Mangrove Jack yeast I think, and fill to 23litres. Don't like the idea of storing leftover wheat DME. I have read of people adding coriander seeds, citrus peel and cloves in a muslin bag, would this be after 4 to 5 days if fermenting when things slow down a bit?

Another newcomer question.

I started my wheat beer 12 days ago to this recipe.
1.7kg Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat beer
1.5kg Coopers wheat LME
Filled to 22 litres.
Starting s.g. around 1044
Mangrove Jacks Munich M20 yeast fermented at a steady 22C.

Tested this morning and s.g. is 1010. Am I wrong to have expected this to be lower? My only experience is with an Admiral Reserve kit which went from 1045 to 1007. I will obviously check again over the next two days, but if it remains at 1010 should I bottle it?

@aw72 : My average apparent attenuation with M20 is 73%, over four brews. You have reached 77%, so yes, it has done fermenting.

And for a wheat beer, a bit more CO2 is good. That is why they bottle it in thick bottles in Germany.

Attenuation. That's a good word. Learning all the time. Thanks for the help.
Would it be advisable to add slightly less sugar for carbonation do you think?

I was thinking that the slightly high f.g. means sugar is still available. So less would then be needed for carbonation. Or am I correct in thinking that the higher f.g. is due to the less easily fermentable sugars and that perhaps I carbonate with simple sugars which the yeast will be able to convert?

The higher final gravity is due to the sugars that THIS yeast can NOT ferment. So you do not need to be afraid that these will ferment later on.

Like I said, you have 77% attenuation which is really good. My last brew with M20 I got 74%, and I bottled with 10g/l sugar.

Thanks for your help. I understand now. I'm still very new to this and learning lots.

Back