Wheat beer user-upper recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd chuck some oats in to make sure that the head is really fluffy, plus I have some in a cupboard :laugh8:
Then you might be disappointed, because despite common belief oats don't improve head retention, and over 10% or so actually negatively affect head retention. You've only around 5% oats though so it'll be fine :thumba:

Hi Harry

That recipe breaks the "always have more base malt than unmalted adjuncts" rule-of-thumb, so you might want to have a think about whether there'll be enough enzymes in the mash to convert :?: ... sorry to do this to you, but either that means
  1. learning all about "Diastatic Power" and doing some sums to check/adjust your recipe accordingly ... see there (link) for a relatively straightforward explanation; or
  2. adding some more base malt, ideally some more with high diastatic power, like the Pilsner, rather than more Vienna and/or reducing the proportion of Flaked Wheat/Oats; or
  3. chucking it all in your mash-tun and seeing what you get, anyway wink...
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Cheers, PhilB

Cheers Phil, appreciate your comments.

I could take 250g of wheat off the recipe, but I haven't got any more pilsner malt and I don't want to add more Vienna in case it all tastes like digestive biscuits.

Or I might just chuck it all in and see what happens :laugh8:

Edit: might attempt a stepped mash for reasons I've read about but failed to remember. 20 mins at 50°C then 40 mins at 67°?

Last edited:
Going by the formulae in the Phil's link, and some rough calculations, I think there'll be enough diastatic power to convert the unmalted components.

2.2lbs pilsner @100°L = 220
2.75lbs Vienna @50°L = 137.5

357.5 / 10lbs - 35.75

Should be just about enough, no?

... anything over 30L is fine, so yes, should be enough ... sorry to have worried you, and to have made your work for it wink... :smallcheers:

For future reference ... since you're multiplying by weight and then dividing by (total) weight in those sums it doesn't matter what units the weight is in, so you didn't need to convert to lbs athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

I've just done a 50/50 wheat/pale using CML krystalweisen and bitter orange peel and coriander seeds.... absolutely massive fermentation! Blew the lid off several times filling the bottom of the brew fridge ....fit a blow off tube.

Haha, good to know. I've got plenty of tubing, so I'll find a jar or bottle in the house to put one together.

What do you use to keep the end of the tube submerged? Also, what temperature did you ferment at? The temperature range on that CML yeast is massive :D

I jam the tube I the bottle neck with a thin piece of hd foam. It can then be adjusted to correct height for maximum bubbling and therefore your amusement!
Temp 22°c...it did have 6 days cold crash as my back has been a bit dicky and didn't fancy carrying the fv! It was virtually crystal clear on bottling.

Back