Wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Only ever brewed one Wheat beer before at that was with 100% wheat malt extract.

Now AG these days. I knocked up a quick recipe after getting back from Belgium based on others I've read, but for some reason I didn't spot the mix of wheat malt and pale malt. So I made it with 100% wheat malt, and it's fermenting in the FV now.

A couple of brewers have asked why I used 100% wheat malt, to which I replied "why wouldn't you, it's a wheat beer?". Most recipes I've now looked at seem to have a combination of wheat and Maris Otter or some other pale malt, 60/40 or 50/50, so not just a bit of non-wheat malt.

So what is the reason for this, and will my all-wheat malt beer be inferior?

It may be due to the diastatic power of the wheat grain or getting a stuck mash - I can remember which asad.

dried wheat extract of which i've done many wheat beers isn't 100% wheat anyways

Wheat malt has loads of diastatic power. It's huskless so can cause a stuck sparge for traditional systems, but the main reason they don't use 100% is that it's pretty tart on its own. Basic Brewing did do a 100% wheat beer, though.

Latest posts

Back