Wheat help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can someone here tell if there is a difference (and what it is) between Wheat Malt and Torrified Wheat. Thank you.

Handy, I have my Greg Hughes book next to me:

Torrified Wheat:
Unmalted, gently cooked. Adds Wheat flavour and increases head retention

Wheat Malt:
Malted (obviously). As well as fermentable sugar, provides protein and aids head retention. Can add hazy finish to beer.

In fact I just bottled my latest brew made with 50% golden promise, 50% fortified (torrified if we can get past androids auto correct features) wheat.
Low strength for summer evenings

Last edited:
ere we go. I get an answer and you throw another product into the equation...
Right, jof, what is fortified wheat - is it malted or what.
By the way, I dont use Golden Promise.

My maltster of choice for fortified wheat. Castle-Malting-1.png

I have the unnerving ability to take a posting in any direction I please. Till Chippy deletes it, of course!

Back on topic... whenever I get a recipe that wants a small amount of torrified wheat, I just chuck in some shredded wheat (breakfast cereal). I've not done a comparison, but other postings have lead me to believe there is not a noticeable difference in the end product in small quantities (though TBH I can't see there would be much difference between 150g of torrified wheat and no torrified wheat in 23l of the end product). I don't have recipes wanting a small amount of torrified wheat that often, so it doesn't bother me

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back