Wheat user-upper brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mornin'

I made a wheat on Friday, seemed to go well other than not having as much in the chilling cube as I expected. I either under sparged or there was a couple of litres more absorption than I anticipated (I started with 20 litres in the kettle, then a 10 litre cold sparge).

Anyway, fermentation isn't as mental as I've been lead to believe it would be, but I did forget the yeast nutrient...

I used a 50g late addition of First Gold, so hopefully this'll bring out some orangey aromas, and I'm using Krystalweissen yeast from CML, as a few of my mates think cloudy beer will make them **** themselves...

Attachments

• IMG_20190726_123311.jpg
    IMG_20190726_123311.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20190726_130806.jpg
    IMG_20190726_130806.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 58
Hi @HarryFlatters , I'm glad this turned out well for you. I did a weissbier a year ago with liquid yeast and it was great. I fancy another go but also bought a range of CML dry yeasts recently so I'm considering the Krystalweissen yeast. Was it particularly estery, banana or clove?
What temperature did you ferment at?

The beer looks good athumb..

I've used the CML Krystal quite a bit...it's ok...it does make clear beers... Kristal being the clue ,but the flavours are good...I've done various wheat beers and American wheats...with my basic knowledge I recon it'd be interesting in an American IPA...

Cheers @Clint . I can live with my beer brewing clear, the last batch of weissbier came out crystal clear to unless I roused the yeast in the bottle before pouring. So long as there is plenty flavour.

@cushyno the banana and clove flavour is there, but not too forward, which I like. It's the first Weiss I've made and it is an encouraging start. I think I fermented at 19 or 20°c, the middle of the range suggested on the packet.

I'll certainly make this again but maybe add more hops as I think it could do with the first gold plus maybe a Germanic noble hop, perhaps something subtle like hallertau blanc would go well.

I also think that this yeast would make a nice dark wheat in the style of Hofbrauhaus Dunkelweiss.

Cheers acheers.

Latest posts

Back