Wheeler's Book British Real Ale and EBU levels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobukbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Most of his recipes are 30 - 40 EBU, I never go below 70 - maybe 15 bittering, 30 flavour and 40 aroma. Is EBU different to IBU, I wonder ?

30-40 IBU would be about right for an English pale or bitter though wouldn’t it?

70 IBUs are IPAs and stout territory.

Most of his recipes are 30 - 40 EBU, I never go below 70 - maybe 15 bittering, 30 flavour and 40 aroma. Is EBU different to IBU, I wonder ?
Are you perhaps confusing EBU for AAU? I'd be surprised if you're getting 40 EBU from an aroma addition but you might get 40 AAU.

my current brew using summit hops 5gm 60 mins 5 gm 50 mins 5 gm 40 mins 10 gm 30 mins 15 gm 20 mins 20 gm 15 mins 40 gm 10 mins 70 gm 5 mins contributing ibu's of 7.6, 7.2, 6.7, 11.7, 13.8, 15, 22.1, 21.1

my current brew using summit hops 5gm 60 mins 5 gm 50 mins 5 gm 40 mins 10 gm 30 mins 15 gm 20 mins 20 gm 15 mins 40 gm 10 mins 70 gm 5 mins contributing ibu's of 7.6, 7.2, 6.7, 11.7, 13.8, 15, 22.1, 21.1
I’ve never used Summit but believe it is is a big American bittering hop with the AAUs in the high teens. Your beer will come out like a hop forward American West Coast IPA hop-wise. Bitterness on an American IPA will be up in the 50-80 range or higher depending on OG.

The Graham Wheeler book is full of British real ale clones. These will be either malt forward or balanced beers so the IBUs will be much lower than an American IPAs and will use hops like EKG and Fuggles which have a much lower AAU content. I would think a 70IBU beer made with EKG would be rank! And expensive!

My old boss at the brewery had a saying,

Hop smarter not stronger,

I am not saying this isn't a tasty beer but you could probably get pretty much the same beer without so many different additions, probably saving some hops and defently saving time faffing arround weighing out all those additions.

Yes seems a bit of a gimmick to me. If it was that revolutionary, most other breweries would be doing it by now.

Yes seems a bit of a gimmick to me. If it was that revolutionary, most other breweries would be doing it by now.
I think you're right, I tried it once after reading something Jamil wrote (hop bursting I think he called it) where there were numerous small additions throughout the boil. I didn't notice enough of a difference to try it again.

To the OP, that does seem like an overly complicated hop schedule. I would cut 4 or 5 of those additions out tbh.

My scales are by the Burco Boiler and the Summit is T90 hop pellets so very easy to make staggered additions. It is an experiment to see if the profile tasted is better - or worse. My normal technique is hops at 60, 20 and 5. Will report back in due course. As the wort comes up to the boil I skim off the sludge, as I do during fermentation. I use clarex to help with clarity and to reduce gluten to less than 0.05%.....

You see the occasional “60 minute IPA” recipe floating about (there’s one in the Greg Hughes book) but it’s not commonplace at all.

Mick Dundee - if you are a landlord, do you have a microbrewery ? do you deliver fish and chips thursday and friday nights ? Is it a freehouse or do you pay rent...how are you managing at present ?

Mick Dundee - if you are a landlord, do you have a microbrewery ? do you deliver fish and chips thursday and friday nights ? Is it a freehouse or do you pay rent...how are you managing at present ?
:?:
I’m an accountant, working from home at our busiest time of year and trying to keep 2 kids occupied.

My scales are by the Burco Boiler and the Summit is T90 hop pellets so very easy to make staggered additions. It is an experiment to see if the profile tasted is better - or worse. My normal technique is hops at 60, 20 and 5. Will report back in due course. As the wort comes up to the boil I skim off the sludge, as I do during fermentation. I use clarex to help with clarity and to reduce gluten to less than 0.05%.....
Please do report back as I am genuinely interested.

Just now I have read this, looks like I'll be going the other way on my next brew.

https://byo.com/article/save-hops-post-boil/
Will also report back.

Last edited:
mickdundee - so why call yourself landlord, beancounter would be better.... smiles....I am a 75 year old so hurl a brickbat back, please...........

mickdundee - so why call yourself landlord, beancounter would be better.... smiles....I am a 75 year old so hurl a brickbat back, please...........
No idea what you are talking about, when have I called myself a landlord?

EDIT - just realised it says “Landlord” under my name - it’s just “status” you get dependent on your post count. I’m a “winger” on the football message boards I post on but I’ve never stuck an in swinging cross towards the back post!

under your photo (baby) it says MickDundee, Landlord.

Ah - you must have a portfolio of rental properties.......

Back