Wheeler's BYOBRA - Is this all the editions available?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to collect all the editions of Graham's British Real Ale books, and I *think* this is it? (baring the latest one which I understand he had little to no involvement in, and disowned to some extent). Or are there others?

IMG_20211218_141149.jpg

There was definitely a BYOBRA version that had a different cover, but it may have just been a new cover on the 3rd edition.

“Camra’s Essential Home Brewing” book came out after Graham died, but was comprised of a lot of his notes, finished up by Andy Parker, a champion home brewer and owner of Elusive Brewing.

I've got the latest version. Is it worth picking up any of the earlier versions? My assumption has always been that the recipes and techniques were refined and improved over time so that the latest version represents the best content. Am I wrong?

The earlier versions have slightly different beers in them, and also the recipes are slightly different. I don't think you could say the later ones were more refined. It's probably only worth tracking then down if you like collecting brewing books (which I do).

I have the edition with the dimple glass on the front. The thing with the recipes is that a lot are very similar so it must be the yeast that makes the beers different so for us home brewers it will be hard unless you can get the original or a very suitable replacement yeast.

I have the edition with the dimple glass on the front. The thing with the recipes is that a lot are very similar so it must be the yeast that makes the beers different so for us home brewers it will be hard unless you can get the original or a very suitable replacement yeast.

When Graham was alive and active on other forums he stated the yeast would always be the key ingredient to replicate a specific beer. The idea of the book, or any recipe book, is to make a beer in the style of. I did post on another post growing yeast from Fullers bottle conditioned bottles made a beer very close to the original.

Most British ales are quite simple - pale malt, crystal, maybe an adjunct or dark malt to adjust body and colour.

The real differences are mostly in the yeast (which affects hop and malt expression and body as well as the esters produced) and to some extent the choice of pale malt.

I'm looking to collect all the editions of Graham's British Real Ale books, and I *think* this is it? (baring the latest one which I understand he had little to no involvement in, and disowned to some extent). Or are there others?

View attachment 59629
I think you've got it nailed, there. This one is good, though.

Attachments

• IMG_20211220_103555.jpg
    IMG_20211220_103555.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 50
Back