When can I start...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunners1

Reaction score
Hi all,
New poster and new to brewing, I can't wait to get started, I'm going to be brewing in my sectional garage, quite cold, when can I start my brew as I'm worried it's way too cold at the minute, I can't wait till summer!

Thanks

It's between 7-10degrees this week, I'm hoping to go for an American pale but too excited to get going, I guess patience is key, roll on the Spring!!!

A water bath and aquarium heater is what most (not me as I'm usually trying to get my fermentations cooler) people in your position do. Buy a builders trug for a few quid, fill it with water pit the FV and aquarium heater in there and bobs your (man from) unkle. There's loads of threads on the forum abouts this and I'm sure someone who actually does this will be along soon to explain there set up

It's between 7-10degrees this week, I'm hoping to go for an American pale but too excited to get going, I guess patience is key, roll on the Spring!!!

Is there somewhere a little warmer you could place your fermenter?
You could still do the brewing and stash all the kit in the garage, just bring the FV inside while its fermenting and then place out in the cold to clear before enjoying the fruits of your labour.

A water bath and aquarium heater is what most (not me as I'm usually trying to get my fermentations cooler) people in your position do. Buy a builders trug for a few quid, fill it with water pit the FV and aquarium heater in there and bobs your (man from) unkle. There's loads of threads on the forum abouts this and I'm sure someone who actually does this will be along soon to explain there set up

Again, I don't use this set up but some of the pictures on here where people have bought a plastic crate and cut a hole in the lid for the FV to sit in with the aquarium heater and digital thermometer in the water look really nice and very practical. With the lid on it'll hold the heat and you may get away with a smaller spec heater but check the "how to" posts to see what's the best aquarium heater to use. Somebody did mention a few mil of bleach in the water bath to stop it turning into a pond. It's an inexpensive method of heat control over the winter months.

I think I may go with dan125's option and just play dumb to the Mrs haha, i can smell my brew already!!!!

. Somebody did mention a few mil of bleach in the water bath to stop it turning into a pond. It's an inexpensive method of heat control over the winter months.

During the summer I was experimenting the other way and using an water bath and Ice to cool my fermentation. You can get away with just cooling for the first week as most of the off flavour compounds are produce during the first 4 days or so of fermentation. So for the last/second week of fermentation I'd just let it rise to ambient temp.
One day I looked in the water bath water and there were 'things' swimming in there. I can only describe them as looking like 'nymphs' of some sort of insect. Needless to say I did'nt mention this to MrsMQ as I brew in the kitchen.

During the summer I was experimenting the other way and using an water bath and Ice to cool my fermentation. You can get away with just cooling for the first week as most of the off flavour compounds are produce during the first 4 days or so of fermentation. So for the last/second week of fermentation I'd just let it rise to ambient temp.
One day I looked in the water bath water and there were 'things' swimming in there. I can only describe them as looking like 'nymphs' of some sort of insect. Needless to say I did'nt mention this to MrsMQ as I brew in the kitchen.

Tell me about off flavours in the first four days MQ, my first AG and I let the FV go up to 27.3 day one and I'm using Safale S05, so I now have beer that tastes like I could use it as lineament for muscle strain. I get all the AG side right and screw up fermenting...........I don't have the words to describe myself. Anyway, probably best not to mention the David Attenborough documentary going on in the water bath, I don't think Mrs F would be too impressed with some wee beasties doing the back stroke in the kitchen either.

My water bath comprises a Wilko trug thingy http://www.wilko.com/laundry-baskets+truggs/wilko-laundry-trug-purple-40l/invt/0267567 which cost about £4, with an ebay 50w fishtank heater set up to control the water at 19*C or thereabouts. The Youngs FVs which I have fit inside with a gap of about 70mm ish, and the bath volume I use is about 10 litres of water which I dose with a couple of splashes of 5% bleach to prevent green biological growth which has occurred without it.
I have insulated the outside of the trug thingy with bubble wrap and chuck on old towel over it when it's in use.
Not much to look at, but its simple, cheap and it works

Back