When do you start drinking a new brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually have one at two weeks in the bottle to see how they're developing. At three weeks they become regular consumption.

When its ready ;) , which is usually a function of yeast choice, and strength.

Typically though my beers have fermented out and dropped bright in three weeks from brewday tops. Small bitters etc with quick flocculant yeasts two weeks. Some yeasts can be a bit slower though, or less flocculant ( saisons, lagers etc)so that can be extended

Thanks all. I guess it depends on style. MM say the Taylors Landlord is best left a while to get better but I cant see TT having the space to be able to age to this degree. I am sure 1 month is more than enough and in reality 2 weeks in BBT is more than enough. I'm just like a kid at Christmas when I have a new beer and I wanna dive straight in.
I resisted hooking up and dispensing yesterday. I may struggle this weekend though if the sun keeps shining. I was planning (hoping) to be able to get the party started next weekend after 2 weeks (ish) of conditioning - its my little lads birthday so thought it would be a good time for me to start the sampling process.

Funny you should mention TT, as I brewed that and it took ages to taste OK, various friends liked it and drank it, but it wasn't until the keg was nearly empty that I could drink a whole pint, it made me feel sick at first, real off flavours, which is unusual as I normally start drinking them when the chiller gets them down to about 20 or so 😂

I try and leave bottled beer 4 weeks after carbonation, so 6 weeks from bottling as a minimum before drinking. If its a strong beer like my Broadside clone or an IPA I intend to leave that 3 months before I even taste it.
I have also just started kegging, so I will try and only keg beers that are intended to be drunk fairly young like Blonde or Bitter.

I try and leave bottled beer 4 weeks after carbonation, so 6 weeks from bottling as a minimum before drinking. If its a strong beer like my Broadside clone or an IPA I intend to leave that 3 months before I even taste it.

I salute your iron will!

I always bottle, and I think I'm like most people, I'd aim for around three weeks after bottling minimum. But beers do vary, and not just the conditioning, also sometimes carbonation; I've had beers that are flat after three weeks, but eventually come good. Obviously it makes sense to try to build up a 'stock', so that you're not drinking your beer too early, and I have managed that now, and have about half a dozen or so batches bottled

Can't be bothered with all this waiting around. These days I just drink the malt extract straight from the can and snort a few lines of yeast - job done.
It can be done!
There was a medical case (ie a person) who was suspected of being an alcoholic.
It turns out he had a fairly uncommon, but not unheard of, condition where his stomach had a resident active yeast culture.
Anything he consumed that had carbohydrates in were fermented and he got unintentionally p****d.
Way to go!

It can be done!
There was a medical case (ie a person) who was suspected of being an alcoholic.
It turns out he had a fairly uncommon, but not unheard of, condition where his stomach had a resident active yeast culture.
Anything he consumed that had carbohydrates in were fermented and he got unintentionally p****d.
Way to go!

Does he have a YouTube channel?

"Today I'm going to show you how to make wine" followed by 30 minutes of him eating grapes.

Does he have a YouTube channel?

"Today I'm going to show you how to make wine" followed by 30 minutes of him eating grapes.
- and becoming progressively more drunk.
No fun just to watch, as it is no different from being 'nominated driver' at a beer festival.
I've looked it up (Wikipedia can be useful) and one of it's names is Auto-brewery syndrome, or ABS.
Puts a different slant on car control panels that enable or disable ABS.
Forget the exhortation 'don't drink and drive';
With ABS enabled it would seem you shouldn't eat or have recently eaten either.
🤪

Latest posts

Back