When in Holland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uDicko

Landlord.
Reaction score
What are the go to local beers you would bring back?

Family member is going soon and wanted to know if there are any beers I fancy in particular.

If I'm honest ... Not a clue but don't want to miss the opportunity to get something special bought back for me if possible.

Thoughts?

Noted.

Turns out Leeuwarden has a strange brewing history that ended up with them having none!

I travel to Rotterdam a couple of times a year for work, there’s a brewery/taproom called Thoms, they do a good selection of beers on draft and cans. Worth a look if they are in Rotterdam.

Great names: anything from breweries Brouwerij 't Ij, Kees, Uiltje, Jopen, De Molen, Texels, Hertog Jan (but NOT(!) their lager), Emelisse.

I have been to Friesland two years ago (you say Groningen), but I must say that the beers I have brought from there where a little less quality. But that was far from Leeuwarden, so you might have better luck. Beers from that vicinity: Kleine Beer, Grutte Pier.

Best supermarkets to find nice beers: Jumbo and Albert Hein.

There are 23 breweries in Friesland (or Fryslân as the locals call it) at the moment. You should have plenty of choice. Some of the breweries even have their own place to taste.
Check out this website for their locations.
https://www.biernet.nl/bier/brouwer...62&zoom=8&filters=brouwerij,brouwerij_huurder

A lot of the names are in the Frisian language. If you want translations you can ask me as I grew up speaking the lamguage.

Latest posts

Back