When is a bread roll not a bread roll

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4uad9o.jpg

I’m from the Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire originally. Gods Chosen Ones call them bread cakes. Everybody else is wrong
Except I'm from North Yorks. originally and we call 'em BUNS.
Actually my Mrs calls them buns too and she's from Leics.

As we've been discussing in another thread, Yougov have done a survey on regional variations in England suggesting that overall 52% call them rolls, bun 10%, cobs 8%, barm (cake) 6%, bap 6%, tea cake (4%), muffin (3%), batch (2%) and 3% "others" that they suggest include “bread cake” and/or “scuffler” around the Humber.

View attachment 39755

A 2014 survey for Craft Bakers’ Week produced this map :
View attachment 39756

A lot of those things listed of Scotland, are completely different from a roll. A Rowie/Buttery is almost like a flattened flaky croissant roll, and a Bridie is a type of meat pasty.

It has occurred to me that this discussion is seemingly all around the round variety of said bread product.

I can't think whether there is such a variance of long versions. I guess these are typically a sub, baguette or finger roll but that could be just what I cal them.

Any other regional variants?

It has occurred to me that this discussion is seemingly all around the round variety of said bread product.

I can't think whether there is such a variance of long versions. I guess these are typically a sub, baguette or finger roll but that could be just what I cal them.

Any other regional variants?
My Mum used to call them bridge rolls.

Here in Derby it's a cob. Getting fed up with southern takeaways calling it a roll. Went to Gregg's this morning in Eastleigh and the young bloke didn't know what a bacon cob was which is quite interesting as Gregg's the nationwide cob shop advertise them throughout the country as rolls. Oh yeah and a tea cake as always been a tea cake. Before anyone asks I'm classed as a essential worker keeping the trains running well sort of running.

Here in Derby it's a cob. Getting fed up with southern takeaways calling it a roll. Went to Gregg's this morning in Eastleigh and the young bloke didn't know what a bacon cob was which is quite interesting as Gregg's the nationwide cob shop advertise them throughout the country as rolls. Oh yeah and a tea cake as always been a tea cake. Before anyone asks I'm classed as a essential worker keeping the trains running well sort of running.
Ps who thinks Fred Dibnah should have been given a knighthood for services to the coal industry?

a greggs near me has a 'sit in' and a 'takeaway' price. hard to 'sit in' when there aren't any seats. i know it's a tax (dodge) thing but it just appears rather daft. they never cook their bacon enough for me in their 'roll and bacon'.

a greggs near me has a 'sit in' and a 'takeaway' price. hard to 'sit in' when there aren't any seats. i know it's a tax (dodge) thing but it just appears rather daft. they never cook their bacon enough for me in their 'roll and bacon'.
Beggers can't be choosers these days...(cob)

A lot of those things listed of Scotland, are completely different from a roll. A Rowie/Buttery is almost like a flattened flaky croissant roll, and a Bridie is a type of meat pasty.
I was thinking the same about butteries and bridies; I guess morning roll is accurate for the north east, at least in the shops. I say roll or bun fairly interchangeably; tend to make buns but eat bacon rolls.

As "they" say: "Eee you can always tell a Yorkshireman ......... but don't expect to tell 'im much !"

:-)

Back