When is a Corny Keg empty?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could hook them up to flow meters and raspberry pi's so you know how much is left. I gave this some a bit of thought and went down the if it splutters and farts its empty route instead.

After a few kegs you get a feel for how long it lasts, I know a single keg lasts about 3 weeks and a bit longer if I have beer on all three taps, gets a bit confused when you have people round helping themselves though

With the Corny keg. How do you know when it’s getting close to empty?
Mark off each time you have a pint. Helps you keep track.

I use an app called beer tracker. Found it useful, but you just need to make sure you remember to tell it when you've had a glass, gets harder the more glasses you have!

Just a mad idea as I don’t have a keg to try it out on, but try taking a leaf out of the wheel-tappers book. There must be a difference in tone when you tap the side of the keg where there is no beer to where there is beer. Just a silly idea :confused.:

I try and keep a tally of pints pulled but that inevitably ends up being inaccurate for, errm, reasons :onechug:Some kegs seem to be gone way too soon, others appear to be bottemless!
I've got an idea. Pour yourself a bit less than a pint each time, then you will get a couple of free pints at the end!

Reminds me of the story of the Old Etonian who was walking down a beach and found a bottle. He opened it and a Genie flew out. The Genie said to the Old Etonian you have 3 wishes.
He said I'll have a bottle of Champagne to which the Gene said when you empty the bottle it will always refill.
Great said the Old Etonian for my other 2 wishes I'll have 2 more bottles.

I have 3 cheap tallymeters & count each half pint, so 64 = empty. Works for me but of course useless for parties.
I thought of making a keg weighing scales as I'm a retired electronics engineer but I don't have the head room in my fridge. There is at least one commercial version too (PLAATO keg).
However following on from a post above and another on this forum I've just ordered a keg ball (magnetic float system) from BrewUK. It's a bit expensive at £20. Would be easy to make except for the food safe plastic float. (£2 cheaper from Angel but they didn't have other stuff I wanted). I imagine it's got its flaws but couldn't resist a try.

With the Corny keg. How do you know when it’s getting close to empty?
Check the weight of your keg when empty. Check the weight of your keg when full.
When you want to know how much beer you've got left check the weight again and compare the difference.
I believe there are monitoring systems that you can buy but they are expensive.😬

Back