When to add beer to pressurised barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Cooper

Reaction score
I am about to make my first brew. Bought a starter kit that came with a fermentation bucket and a pressurised barrel along with the co2 chargers.
My question is how long into fermenting my beer do I transfer it into the pressurised barrel?
I will be brewing the mangroves jack's pink grapefruit IPA beer.

Right....
Chuck the instructions in the bin.
Clean,with proper cleaner not fairy liquid, everything.
Then ..sterilise everything...well just your bucket,big spoon and airlock for now.
Put the kit tins/packets containing the malt extract into a bowl of hot water to soften it for half an hour or so.
Open and tip the extract into your bucket,rinse with some hot water
Top up your bucket to 23l with cold water...you need a thermometer for this...a stick on one on the bucket is fine. Try to add cold and or warm water so the temp is around 20 degrees. As you go thrash it up with your big spoon. Take a hydrometer reading
When filled sprinkle your yeast on the surface,put the lid on and fit the air lock. Put some sterilised water in the air lock.
Leave it for at least two weeks,do not open or mess with it.
After which take another reading..if it is where the suggested final gravity should be test if again the next day.
If it's the same it should be finished
Now you can clean and sterilise your barrel. Add 90g of sugar to provide secondary fermentation and Syphon your beer into the barrel. Sterilise the Syphon beforehand.
Leave in a warm place for a couple of weeks to carbonate then move to a cool place to condition.
Before use your barrel may need fettling...look on the forum for the Terrym guide to this.
Enjoy...any questions just ask!

A simple rule for conditioning time is based on the ABV. So if it's 4% leave it 4 weeks, 5% then 5 weeks etc.

It's easy to see why there is confusion.

34025011_0_640x640.jpg

Back