When to add citra hops???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb982

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Relative newbie here, on my 6th brew.

I have purchased some citra hops to add to a Coopers Canadian Blond to make it a bit more interesting. I have read about adding for a few days from day one of brew, and read about adding after a week, and even making a tea and adding at bottling stage. I have no idea what to do with them and am looking for some guidance please. Also, how much do I add? And di put them in a hop bag or not? I have added a pic of the hops...

Thanks in advance all!

Attachments

• 20200810_194308.jpg
    20200810_194308.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 88
Very limit experience myself mate but I’m pretty sure consensus of opinion is add your dry hop addition for 2-5 days after fermentation has finished so the co2 don’t drive away too much hop aroma.

I personally wouldn't add Citra hops to that kit but if it's all you have and you want to do it I would add around 15 - 20g at the most when fermentation has finished. Just tip them in to your brew and they will dissolve and sink to the bottom of the FV within a couple of days allowing you to cold crash if you have the means? Ideally the hops you need are probably some Mittlefrau or Saaz even cascade maybe?

Thanks both of you. I will try your method Banbeer. No cold crash facilities sadly, that's my next investment. Will this matter?
Also. Why would you not recommend these hops for this brew? - Wrong hops or wrong kit? I hope was that it would add a citrusy/hoppy twist to it.

Thanks!

If you have a concrete floor in your garage, you could stand the fv there overnight. Whilst not a proper cold-crash, it will do something similar and drop the hop pellets to the bottom of the fv with the trub.

No cold crash facilities sadly, that's my next investment. Will this matter?

No this is not a problem as @Pavros says anywhere cool, the cooler the better it's just so the hops and yeast drop into the trub before packaging (bottling/kegging). Any hops left just tape the bag and stick them in the freezer.

Why would you not recommend these hops for this brew? - Wrong hops or wrong kit?

Citra is a very bold hop used a lot in IPA's and gives a very strong hop taste and not a hop I would add to a lager (it's all about what you want tho') even tho' I love using citra hops myself in IPA/APA's

No this is not a problem as @Pavros says anywhere cool, the cooler the better it's just so the hops and yeast drop into the trub before packaging (bottling/kegging). Any hops left just tape the bag and stick them in the freezer.

Citra is a very bold hop used a lot in IPA's and gives a very strong hop taste and not a hop I would add to a lager (it's all about what you want tho') even tho' I love using citra hops myself in IPA/APA's
Hhhhmmmmm maybe I'll save them for my next brew then, I have a Coopers Hefe Weise... better pairing I think

Hhhhmmmmm maybe I'll save them for my next brew then, I have a Coopers Hefe Weise... better pairing I think

Are you sure? I'd try my hand at typical German hops, or Saaz. Citra is a good hop but quickly dominating, and tricky if the style asks for a bit more subtlety. Hallertauer or Saaz, I'd say. And since you don't need a large amount of hops for the blonde and weizen, you could use one hop for both of them?
Save Citra for a Big American Ale.

My 2 pence.

Hi All,

So I am ready to add my hops to my FV. Will be adding 15-20g as recommended above. How long do you recommend I leave them in before bottling? Also, in terms of mocking a cold crash, I do not have a garage and brew indoors, shall I leave the FV outside for a night?

Advice greatly appreciated!

For what it's worth I'm going with a hop tea for my experiment with a low alcohol lager. I do have temp control but this seems more tidy plus allows me to drink some to learn what it is I'm adding.
Linky lonky.
I am eager to try it but have to wait, am going for the approach of adding it at the very end as I keg.

I do enjoy this hobby! :) whatever way you go it will be satisfying!

Hi All,

So I am ready to add my hops to my FV. Will be adding 15-20g as recommended above. How long do you recommend I leave them in before bottling? Also, in terms of mocking a cold crash, I do not have a garage and brew indoors, shall I leave the FV outside for a night?

Advice greatly appreciated!
If it was me, I’d add the hops, leave for 3 days, then chill as much as possible for 3 days, then bottle. It is said that if you leave the hops in for more than 7 days, you risk getting a “grassy” flavour, but I wouldn’t leave it that long if you’re still in the primary fermenter; apparently the yeast starts feasting on itself and that impacts the flavour too.

Don’t worry too much about chilling, it’s just to help clear your beer and it’s far from vital. However, maybe you can get it down a few degrees by sitting the FV in some cold water with some ice packs. Otherwise wrap it in wet towels and open the window at night.

BTW, I’d have been tempted to go with the Citra, as you’re a fan of the flavour. Nothing wrong with a bit of bespoke experimenting; that’s why we do this hobby, isn’t it? Using only 10-15 gms dry hopped in 20 or so litres is just going to add a tinge of the taste.

BTW, I’d have been tempted to go with the Citra, as you’re a fan of the flavour. Nothing wrong with a bit of bespoke experimenting; that’s why we do this hobby, isn’t it? Using only 10-15 gms dry hopped in 20 or so litres is just going to add a tinge of the taste.

50 grams is not too wild, I read elsewhere that this kit is a bit boring and could do with some kick re dryhop, but Citra... Cashmere and Cascade (if you want to stick to the 'C') are options too.
But as @Derek Smalls said: nothing wrong with experimenting. Worst case would be a weird beer!

You could always taste the sample you're using to measure the gravity and see if you think it needs more hop aroma. While you still have beer in the trial jar open the Citra and have a sniff alongside the trial sample and see if the smell of the beer and the hops work. You can then dry hop if you think it will be a winning combo. I'm all for experimentation too but we can still be 'scientific' about it to a degree.

You can always taste the beer again in a few days and add more hops if you feel they're working and you want 'more'.

As an aside a good tip is to look at what hops/yeast are traditionally used in specific styles of beer. It's good practice to try and make a recipe 'to style' and then experiment once you feel the basic's are understood or you know what the beer 'should' taste like. I was super keen to try all sorts of hops and yeasts when I first started but quickly discovered that getting better at the basics gave me more confidence to experiment as I had half an idea of what the outcomes should be rather than just firing a load of new hops or yeast and wait 3-5 weeks to see if it works or gets dumped. But then the killer is having to wait on turnaround to brew more frequently to accommodate all this learning and experimenting...which isalso half the fun...but the waiting sucks!

You could always taste the sample you're using to measure the gravity and see if you think it needs more hop aroma. While you still have beer in the trial jar open the Citra and have a sniff alongside the trial sample and see if the smell of the beer and the hops work. You can then dry hop if you think it will be a winning combo. I'm all for experimentation too but we can still be 'scientific' about it to a degree.

You can always taste the beer again in a few days and add more hops if you feel they're working and you want 'more'.

As an aside a good tip is to look at what hops/yeast are traditionally used in specific styles of beer. It's good practice to try and make a recipe 'to style' and then experiment once you feel the basic's are understood or you know what the beer 'should' taste like. I was super keen to try all sorts of hops and yeasts when I first started but quickly discovered that getting better at the basics gave me more confidence to experiment as I had half an idea of what the outcomes should be rather than just firing a load of new hops or yeast and wait 3-5 weeks to see if it works or gets dumped. But then the killer is having to wait on turnaround to brew more frequently to accommodate all this learning and experimenting...which isalso half the fun...but the waiting sucks!

Indeed! This is my constant battle. The waiting, which is then accompanied by much reading, and so I get excited to try things completely different, and fail to iterate a particular one to perfection/excellence.

It's a decent problem to have I suppose!

Latest posts

Back