When to add sugar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjas

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am planning my second AG brew and like my first one I am using a recipe that is tried and tested. This time I am using one from Graham Wheelers book. The recipe states it needs white sugar and this is listed with the grain bill under the mash section. So my question is; when do you add the sugar? In with the mash? In with the boil? Or in the FV with the yeast? I have dextrose and cane sugar, which one is best to use?

Also, his recipes state a 90 min mash and 90 min boil, I thought generally it was a 60 min mash and boil for AG?

Thanks

Jas

Dextrose and cane sugar with both ferment out completely so either will be fine. I like to add my sugar additions after the yeast have had a good go at the main wort (say 50-80% through fermentation) as otherwise they could get lazy after fermenting the simple sugars (dextrose/cane). It can be added to the boil without issues, but I always add simple sugars through the ferment instead.

90min mash will help to completely convert starches to sugars and a 90min boil will help to drive off SMM (DMS precursor), although 60min for both are normally fine with the highly modified malts we have access to. I've done 30min mash and boils for some mild recipes (high mash temp helps with the conversion times) but normally go for around 60-90min mash and boil as good practice. If you've got the time, 90min for both isn't going to hurt.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will chuck it in with the boil and see how it works out. I'll also do the 90 mins mash and boil as per the recipe.

Jas

I also have BYOBRA what reciepe are you using? Also what yeast are you using as I find you have to be careful using simple sugars as you can dry your beer out if you use a highly attenutive yeast. As simple sugars are 100% fermentable.
The reason the recipes state white sugar is because GW thought that invert syrup might be too hard for HBers to get hold of so put sugar instead. You could use golden syrup instead of the sugar as it's partially inverted and will give you some flavours. Ive recently polished off a batch of bitter that I used golden syrup in and it was lovely

Latest posts

Back