When to Bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRBrew

Reaction score
Hi folks. I haven't been here for a while as I've happily brewing away. However I would like to ask a simple question. I put a brew on last Saturday. OG 1.052 with a projected FG of 1.010. When I checked it yesterday there was no activity in the airlock so I check the gravity and it was bang on 1.010. I normally bottle at around 2 weeks but as I'm not working on Monday is there any reason why I shouldn't bottle then, so at 7-8 days? I suppose my question is, is there any good reason to leave the beer in the FV once the fermentation is finished for all intents and purposes?

Thanks, Ian

I'm pretty sure that the yeast continues to metabolise other odds and ends present in the beer (that are better off, for one reason or another, not being left in there) after it's done with the fermentable sugars and that the two week 'rule' is just to be absolutely sure it's done.

There are certainly many more members here who can give a more comprehensive explanation, but I would actually like to know if there's any real reason not to bottle after a week too, I have a red ale that I brewed on Sunday that's just hit 1006 (from 1042 OG) and is very clear.

Many people raise the temperature towards the end of the high growth phase, which increases activity and allows the yeast to clean up by products faster, this is called a diacetyl rest and generally used for lagers but can help clean up other by products in ales such as acetaldehyde. I always do this regardless but many just bottle when fermentation is finished and it seems to work for them.

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I'll go ahead and bottle on Monday. Cheers

Latest posts

Back