When to dry hop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patwestlake

Reaction score
I use the 2 + 2 + 2 system so am part way through the 14 day fermentation of a Craft IPA. The kit says to add the dry hops on day 7 of their 10 day schedule, so that would give me 7 days with the hops which I am worried is too long. Do I just add them 3 days before I transfer to secondary?

Pat

I would add 4 days before you bottle/keg.

If you have one of those fine mesh syphon end bags (the sort that come with the Festival kits) then you can just chuck the hop pellets into the brew loose. If not I would make up a hop bag out of some sterilised muslin, string and some weights (marbles are good) put the pellets in the muslin with the marbles and tie it shut leaving a bit of space for the hope pellets to expand when they absorb the wort - then pop that gently into your wort, should sink because of the included weights. Make sure you sterlise the muslin and the string and the marbles.

The aroma from dry hopping doesn't hang around that long in the bottle/keg before subsiding with a bit of time, so adding 4 days before bottling/keggin would be my advice.

Good luck with it.

thanks Spapro, the pellets came with a suitable muslin bag, so I'll use that. I take it that there isn't much difference to the end result in bagged vs free spread apart from the ease of siphoning?:hmm:

Pat

no need to add hops to the fermenter. Put the hops in a muslin bag or café tiere and add boiling water leave till cool and you have hop infused water which can be added 3 to 4 days before bottling

no need to add hops to the fermenter. Put the hops in a muslin bag or café tiere and add boiling water leave till cool and you have hop infused water which can be added 3 to 4 days before bottling

I take it that this is "hop tea"?

pat

Back