When to stabilise cider

Discussion in 'Wine & Cider Discussions' started by simon12, Nov 7, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Nov 7, 2018 #1

simon12

simon12

simon12

Regular.

Checked the FG today is 0.998 I want to sweeten with Apple juice so should I add finings to the primary FV and add juice tomorrow and pack or add the stabilers with the juice immediately before packing?

2. Nov 8, 2018 #2

Graz

Graz

Graz

Regular.

I'm guessing you know it will end up being a still cider?

Usual way I'd do this with a wine is transfer it to a secondary, add the stabiliser and juice. Probably de-gas it if you want the finings to be effective. Then add those according to instructions. Leave for 3-7 days to clear and bottle.

3. Nov 8, 2018 #3

simon12

simon12

simon12

Regular.

Cheers for the reply, I asked at very short notice and ended up adding the finings to the primary yesterday. So I now have the option of leaving then racking onto juice then packing or racking today and then leaving to clear a while before adding the juice or adding finings agan at a later date. What do you reckon. Note I plan to fill 1 bag in box for a still cider and the rest into a corny to force carb. The finings/stabiliser are Pot. Sorbate and some Campden tabs, the reasoning the pot. sorbate makes the yeast sterile ands not good for it while the campden deprives it of oxygen and its run out of food.