Where did these water additions go wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frae

Reaction score
After a fantastic result at making my first NEIPA (a Weldwerks Juicy Bits clone) I decided to make another batch, but this time with the recommended water profile in comments from the brewer at Weldwerks. Interestingly he said they used a malt forward suphate to chloride ratio of approx 1.0 : 2.2

The comments being:
"We use calcium chloride and calcium sulfate additions to adjust water profile to about 175–200ppm chloride, 75–100ppm sulfate, and 125–150 ppm calcium"
"When designing the recipe for Juicy Bits, after hop varietals, we tested water chemistry more than any other variable and we landed just under 3:1 chloride:sulfate"

I used Yorkshire Vale bottled water from Morrisons which states the following water profile in ppm. These are much lower values than the other types of water I've used before (approx 20 - 50% the amount), but trusted they were correct:
Ca2 6.3
Mg2 1.9
SO4 3.2
Na+ 7.2
Cl- 9.1
HCO3 34

So onto the Brewers Friend water calculator starting from the Balanced Profile then adjusting calcium, sulphates and chlorides to the mid-points of the ranges Weldwerks specified I came out with a whopping 22g of salt additions for 35l of water! (please see the attached screenshot of the water calculator). It was approx a finger's thickness of powder at the bottom of a plastic cup.
(edit: The image looks shrunk as I write this post, if you can't read it you can access it here JuicyBitsWaterAdditions.JPG)

JuicyBitsWaterAdditions.JPG

This made the water disconcertingly white and cloudy. I also suspect it moved the pH significantly because OG came in at 1.040 compared to the 1.054 hit last time, so mashing was impacted a lot. (Unfortunately I don't monitor pH yet)

It's now serving time and it's got an overriding bitter chemical taste no doubt from too much mineral additions. It gives me a strange fizzy feeling in the stomach when drinking it and I'm worried that this would be slightly dangerous to drink(?). I've tried about 4 pints and am about to pour the remaining 41 pints down the sink for fear of it being rather unhealthy :(

Anybody with experience at this have an idea of what went wrong here? Do the mineral levels look ok? Does anyone ever add that much salts?
Any help would be much appreciated, as pouring an entire brew's worth down the sink is heart breaking!

I'm sorry to tell you, but the mineral analysis on that bottled water is not in ppm, it's in mg/0.1L so you need to multiply them by 10 to get ppm.

I'm sorry to tell you, but the mineral analysis on that bottled water is not in ppm, it's in mg/0.1L so you need to multiply them by 10 to get ppm.
Thanks for the quick resolution, Steve. That's a newbie mistake from me then :( One with wasteful consequences.
Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick resolution, Steve. That's a newbie mistake from me then :( One with wasteful consequences.
Thanks again!
That's a real shame, no doubt you had a lot of delicious and expensive hops in there?

Back