Where do you store your malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOsprey

Brewing Bad
Reaction score
Hi,

I now have about 20kg of different malts, and I'm planning to brew in the garage. If I leave in the bags, I'll definitely get mice. I've put some in an FV, but what have you found best to store your malt?

Do you leave it in the bags or decant into another container? Does anything taint the flavour over time? I could get some storage tubs, but I don't want to if everything will taste of ikea plastic after 6 months...

Air tight 60 litre barrels here but I need to get some smaller airtight containers for speciality malts as they're hard to search through. I'd stored malts in a none airtight container before and after a break of 18 months or so they weren't in great shape, everything I brewed with them had a sour taste.
EDIT: All uncrushed. Iirc the barrels are 60l but I'd have to double check, nice size because they take a 25kg bag of grain with a little space to spare.

For smaller amounts I use airtight 5 litre and 10 litre food grade plastic buckets, for the larger amounts I use 60L food grade airtight barrels

I use a couple of square storage bins with hinged lids, cheap from B&Q istr, I only buy uncrushed grain and when it arrives I decant it into 3Kg vacuum sealed bags.

A cheap vacuum sealer is about £15 on Amazon.

I recycle 10/20ltr food grade mayonnaise/ sauce tubs from the kItchen at work. Decanted. Haven't had a problem yet

I got a big 64 litre "Really Useful Box" from Amazon for 16 quid. Then bought a couple of the10L boxes for specialty grains. I prefer square boxes to barrels myself, for stackability purposes.

Thanks, do you decant, or leave in the bag?
The 25kg bags I decant as it fills the 60 litre bin, the smaller amounts it depends, if its just say 1kg in a 5 litre bucket I will leave in the bag, if its 5 kgs in a 5 litre bucket I will decant. All the containers are airtight

I have a big blue plastic drum which has a metal ring that clamps onto the lid to ensure it’s airtight. A 25kg bag fits in with room on top for some crystal, adjuncts etc

These are supposed to be rodent proof and will easily store 20kg of malt. I have one and you can fit a 25kg sack of base malt in it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Litre-Plastic-Blue-Container-Storage/dp/B01AM5RZKA
That's what I use, too. You can just squeeze a 25Kg sack into one of them (at great risk to your fingers). Cheap cooler boxes are good for smaller amounts.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guaranteed...d=1&keywords=cooler+box&qid=1595323807&sr=8-6You can get them cheaper than this in Asda or elsewhere.

I got a big 64 litre "Really Useful Box" from Amazon for 16 quid. Then bought a couple of the10L boxes for specialty grains. I prefer square boxes to barrels myself, for stackability purposes.
I have been using really useful boxes for a few years for my grain, I have a range of sizes for different quantities. For very small quantities I use those plastic takeaway boxes, can buy packs of 10 for £1 in most supermarkets.

I have been wondering if I should change from really useful boxes tho, they are food safe but they are definitely not air tight. Im not sure how big of an issue this is?

The bucket it came in.

Attachments

• extra-pale-premium-pils-wyermann-5000-gram_2.jpg
    extra-pale-premium-pils-wyermann-5000-gram_2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 93

I do this too. Keep in the plastic bags that they come with, I don't dump it in. And well if anyone cares to know, I brewed up a hefeweizen with 3 year old malt stored in a Really Useful Box and it was delicious.

Latest posts

Back