Where do you store your malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These look good, any idea if they are made from food safe plastic? I couldnt see any mention of it.
It says they're made of polypropylene which has high heat tolerance and is (ASFAIK) regarded as one of the safest forms of plastic for food. Yohgurt pots are made out of it.

Why they don't mention food safe on the website I don't know, we'd have to ask.

have been wondering if I should change from really useful boxes tho, they are food safe but they are definitely not air tight. Im not sure how big of an issue this is?
I store base malts in non airtight bin because I turn the stock quickly.

I would rather have air-tight than non-air-tight but I doubt it makes a big enough difference to justify swapping if you already have them.

I use £10 fermenting bins from Wilkos for the pale malt, just pour the malt out from the sack and another one for the other grains that I leave in the separate bags..

I have a sealed air tight metal crate from an old job, in which all the speciality malts are stored. When I stopped brewing for four years, all the grains 'in stock' were left in here in the shed - when I looked at them again back in May, they were still fine & brewed a decent beer. 25kg sacks of base malt are stored in a bin, and tend to get used over a couple of months, so not too worried about air tight storage for that.

I recently got two 25kg bags of malt from the Malt Miller. I bought two of these to store it in (on the advice of someone on this thread I believe):

https://www.bluestarpackaging.co.uk...c-storage-drum-barrel-keg-with-lid-2298-p.asp
The drums look great, and the Pilsner malt bag fits in perfectly with a bit of encouragement, but the Maris bag (from Crisp) is fatter and won't fit through the top. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about whether it would be OK just to dispense with the bag and to pour the malt directly into the barrel. I know the bags aren't air tight, but they must offer some protection and it's easier to know when you're coming to the end of a particular batch - otherwise you will end up eventually having malt of all ages mixed together.

Cheers!

I've got two of these also, but I order my grain in 5kg bags so they fit in nicely and are easier to handle.

Open bags go in the freezer with a plastic clip holding them shut.

Freezer eh, that is dedicated! I don't have the room, sadly. Spare freezer space is for hops and yeast

I would prefer lots of 5kg bags (apart from the plastic waste) but I ended up being shipped entire 25kg sacks. The problematic sack went in in the end (so to speak...) - I gave up and left it on top of the bin for a few hours as I had work to do. When I came back later it had sagged into the bin a little under its own weight and it went in with a little encouragement. Top tip if you end up in the same situation!

It says they're made of polypropylene which has high heat tolerance and is (ASFAIK) regarded as one of the safest forms of plastic for food. Yohgurt pots are made out of it.

Why they don't mention food safe on the website I don't know, we'd have to ask.
I emailed Solent plastics about these when I was looking at storage, they are not food safe.

I went with the stackable blue drums.

Back