Where to get wood

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leard

Reaction score
I have recently gotten myself hold of a second hand chest freezer that will becoming a keezer. The next stage is to build the collar. I'm going to go for a fairly basic build. However I'm not particularly great at sawing and dealing with wood, so ideally I'd like to just buy it ready cut and I can just screw it together. Is there a website where can I get it both cut to size and have 45 degree angle cut at the ends?

They do, but only on certain woods, and they're down a lot. It's worth phoning first to check.

I can second the need to ring ahead. I went to B&Q earlier this week to get some timber for shelves in the new fermentation fridge expecting to be able to get it all cut to size to save me a job. Turned out the saw was out of service so I had to buy a hand saw and do it myself. Surprisingly turned out OK given my general cackhandedness

I can second the need to ring ahead. I went to B&Q earlier this week to get some timber for shelves in the new fermentation fridge expecting to be able to get it all cut to size to save me a job. Turned out the saw was out of service so I had to buy a hand saw and do it myself. Surprisingly turned out OK given my general cackhandedness

I've been 4 or 5 times to get wood cut at B&Q, and only succeeded twice.

I went along to B&Q and the wood cutting service wasn't open. So I tried myself using a handsaw. Bit of a nightmare since some of the pieces clearly weren't straight at the edge. However I bought some stainable wood filler and I've used that to cover the gaps and stain it. Looks pretty good. Even more annoying is that I went back to B&Q to buy some paint and I saw that the cutting service was open. I really don't understand their logic over if it's open or not.

I have started to use Selco. You open an account online, I just opened a cash account, and most things you can order from the website at competitive prices and have delivered.

If you aren't too handy at DIY, and don't own power tools, the best tip I can give is order/buy a small disposable hand saw with your timber. A sharp saw is two thirds of the battle!

Latest posts

Back