Where to use Northdown

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iz_g

Reaction score
I've ended up, almost by accident, with a packet of Northdown hops, which I've never used before.

I'm keen to brew a very 'English' IPA, and from what I've read this would be a good hop. How might it pair with Fuggles/First gold/Target? (the other very english hops I currently have)

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Cheers

Its a dual purpose hop, for an IPA with that selection, I would use northdown for bittering and go heavier with the fuggles and first gold and a smaller amount of northdown (or target) as late hops.

Are northdown hops similar to northern brewer hops? If so, you could do a Californian Common (Steamer) which is quite nice....lager yeast but brewed like a pale ale

Its a dual purpose hop, for an IPA with that selection, I would use northdown for bittering and go heavier with the fuggles and first gold and a smaller amount of northdown (or target) as late hops.

Thanks! I brewed it today taking this advice. Northdown as the bittering hop, first gold and fuggles at 20 mins, and northdown and first gold together at the end. I'll report back on the results!

Rod, I may well brew a mild with it at some point in the future, it's a style I like a lot.

Latest posts

Back