Wherry in king keg no pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobzee

Reaction score
Bit of advice pls. I put my brew (woodfordes wherry) from the fv in to the king keg on Saturday. Add 80g of brewing sugar. I have added a Schrader value to the cap so I can check psi. On checking yesterday and today it’s shows 0 psi.
I checked the kk before adding the brew by putting it in the bath and adding air to pressurise the keg to 5 psi. Put the top under water and no apparent leaks so thought all was good.
I have just tried putting soapy water around the s30 valve and tyre valve, and nothing obvious.
Am I being to inpatient? But I would expect to see some pressure building. Although when depressing the pin on the schrader valve gas does escape.

It can take 2-4 weeks to get decent carbonation. If it's only been two days, you're jumping the gun a bit

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

It can take 2-4 weeks to get decent carbonation. If it's only been two days, you're jumping the gun a bit

Ok, I ll resist the urge to get the cap off and fiddle.

If it's any consolation, your 80g of sufar should be right. If it's somewhere warm-ish for a while it'll be fine

Much appreciated. Its sitting around 21 to 23 c. I think the worst thing I did was add the tyre valve, it just makes me paranoid about the pressure.

It's quite natural to want to monitor it so closely, we all do it at first. If it doesn't have any pressure after two weeks, start looking for a leak, otherwise you can only wait. It's a homebrew cliche, but it works - don't worry, relax, gave a homebrew

Put some water and a bit of washing up liquid in a spray bottle and souse the entire barrel. If there's nothing around the seals there might be a hairline crack on the body of the barrel. Hope you get it fixed as it's a dread when you get a leak.

I got a king keg a couple of months ago. Best thing is watch a few YouTube vids. I have a pressure gauge in my lid and also use ptfe tape around the neck of the barrel to ensure a good lid seal. First brew I did the pressure relief rubber was letting gas out at 7 psi. I’ve changed it for a new rubber and now holds 10 psi. Oh and a £4 cap spanner helps get that extra nip on the cap.

Quite honestly I usually see the gauge start to rise after a couple of days. Try cracking open the tap a fraction to see if you have any pressure. You may have a duff gauge

Quite honestly I usually see the gauge start to rise after a couple of days.

+1

I have a gauge on mine and plotted a graph of the rise in pressure, it kicks off in the first few days then starts to tail off after Day7. If you have no pressure you may have a seal leak around the lid or something: just because it sealed last time you tested it doesn't mean it will seal next time, kegs are notorious for leaking around the lid seal. I have a small CO2 cannister and always given my kegs a quick squirt of CO2 in addition to priming, to listen for leaks. I kegged a beer today and, sure enough, there was a small leak as I hadn't tightened the lid quite enough.

Back