Wherry Kit 3 years past its sell by date!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Rubble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whilst sorting out the cupboard under the stairs, I came across a Woodfordes Wherry Kit which if I remember correctly, my daughter bought me as a birthday present, way back in 2015! This is before I got seriously into homebrew, since May 2020.
The sell by date is January 2017, and is as you are probably aware a two can kit.
I am confident that the malt extract in the two cans are still okay, so I intend to brew it this coming weekend.
Naturally I will discard the provided yeast and replace with a Wilko Ale yeast of which I have several (all in date).

When I did an out of date kit, I found the yeast was fine.
But the hoppyness had gone from the malt extract.
My advice would be to taste near the end of fermentation & do either a dry hop or add some hop tea if its lacking

With the exception of the yeast it'll be fine. Besides which before Muntons started supplying a decent quantity of yeast with these I always used to ditch the supplied sachet and use my own (usually Safale S-04), had one or two stuck fermentations in the past so it just wasn't worth the risk.

My first kit was a Wherry which was 5 years out of date.
I had nothing to lose so brewed it anyway, it came out alright although I wasn't blown away by it. I should probably do one properly one day but there's so many to try!

IT'S DONE!!!

Brewed it slightly short to 22 litres using good old Thames Water tap water. Discarded the old yeast and used an in date 11g pack of Wilko English Ale Yeast. Prior to adding the yeast the OG came in at 1042.
Set up in my brew fridge with Inkbird set at 21 degrees c.

I will keep you posted as to how it turns out. wink...

I picked up an out of date Wherry kit for £1 from a boot fair a year or two back. I thought it was a bargain if I just have to replace the yeast. I brewed it and it was horrid. There were a few small signs of rust on one of the cans but it still seemed intact.

I know I should have updated this earlier, but just to let you all know, I had to pour this lot down the sink, as after two weeks of fermenting in the FV, it smelt absolutely awful! Certainly undrinkable! I guess three and a half years past the sell by date was just too long. sick...

I know I should have updated this earlier, but just to let you all know, I had to pour this lot down the sink, as after two weeks of fermenting in the FV, it smelt absolutely awful! Certainly undrinkable! I guess three and a half years past the sell by date was just too long. sick...

Worth a go. I also got restarted with homebrew during lockdown, with an out of date Brupaks Fixby Gold - only a year out of date and it was fine. I believe the liquid malt extract does degrade quite quickly.

Latest posts

Back