Wherry problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wherrypuzzled

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi joined today - and have posted on the Introduce yourself section

Basically I started probably in 1970 and graduated via Pressure Barrels right up to having 3 Pub Barrels and a hand Pump to dispense them. Used to brew double batches for each

I was no mug and after a rest of 5 years I am back (Pubs shut of course) and proving in the last week I AM now a mug

I went for my go to Wherry and used my sterlisation regime (ocd) - and the first Wherry was down to 1014 in 4 days - I never recall that happening that quickly in the past. Maybe too warm ? I have put in a King Keg and secondary fermentation underway - so I thought that was a problem but hopefully solved now

So yesterday I stuck in my second Wherry kit and it is doing absolutely nothing. No bubbles , nothing that looks like it is interested in starting fermentation and this is the first time I ever remember this problem

I sneaked a look and the yeast is just laying on the top inert. The kit was BBE Feb 22 so cant see a problem there. I can only guess that the yeast is inactive due to low Temperature but the aquarium style Thermometer is lit 18 20 and 22 and the FV is in exactly the same position as it was for the first Brew which finished in double quick time

So any help please ? Is the yeast dead ? Is the yeast not going yet due to being too cold ? If the latter is the cause will warming up the liquid going to start it OR is it a lost cause ?

Many thanks in advance for any help - and I will look forward to participating whenever I can

Cheers Wherrypuzzled !

What temperature did you pitch at?
If its lower than 25*C yeast should be OK.
First I would get a sanitised whisk and give it a good old thrash to get the yeast into the wort, and also oxygenate the wort again .
Then leave it 24 hours.
If that doesnt work you might be looking at more yeast

Thanks both for the info ... I had pitched at around 20 according to Aquarium style Thermo. (Note to self - buy a proper one for pitching)

I had already slightly disturbed the liquid using my sterilied spoon - but 24 hours later the Wort looked dead

I tried to warm the whole lot up by moving to a warmer place and covering it to keep the heat in - and b-a-n-g - this morning I have as violent a fermentaion as I have even seen with the Temp on 24c

Moved quickly to my usual fermenting place which wil now be a pretty static 21c so hopefully the atomic explosion of a fermentation wont be too detrimental to the finished product (Note to self - be more patient)

Thanks all

Back