Which 19L keg is the best

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corbières

Reaction score
Hi all, new on here. Am looking to buy a 19l keg. Seen a number of different makes AEB, Mangrove Jack, others stamped Made in Italy etc. Anyone advise on best on one, ignoring price initially maybe. Thanks Darren

Not very much difference really. They all do the same job.

The cheaper ones will be either refurbished or used so that could be something to take into consideration - if they are just used you will probably need to change the all o rings, others like mangrove jacks are brand new but might be different dimensions, so depending on the space you are putting them in you might need to measure.

There's 2 types of connector as well, ball lock and pin lock. There's no advantage over either type that I'm aware of but if I was you I'd pick one type and stick to it so all your fittings are interchangeable.

I've bought new AEB and new Kegland kegs. Both do the job well, but of the two makes I would prefer the AEB. It just seems a slightly better quality. Hard to put a finger on the reason why, it's just the way it feels. Only definite thing I will point out is that the upper plastic/rubber carrying handles on the AEB kegs are better. Pick up the Kegland one and there is a slight 'give' to it, especially when you may be shaking it to clean it or when it's full. Having said that the Kegland one is probably £10 cheaper and I have no doubt will last for decades!

As previously mentioned, size dimensions vary. This may not initially be an issue but if you want to add to the collection, it could be. Ball lock and pin lock was also mentioned. Can't remember exactly what it was I was looking at recently but it was maybe something to do with removing the posts. The pin lock ones possibly need a special tool for the job. The ball lock ones do not. Just a 21 or 22 spanner (I think) to remove them.

Oh and there are two types of the most common variety (AEB). Short and wide vs tall and thin. Only you will know if the dimensions matter but the taller ones have easier access to the posts. I personally prefer the taller ones.

Oh and there are two types of the most common variety (AEB). Short and wide vs tall and thin. Only you will know if the dimensions matter but the taller ones have easier access to the posts. I personally prefer the taller ones.
Where did you buy from please ?

The taller thinner AEB ones are the current new ones. Think they've been in production for a couple of years now, so if you are buying new should be a taller thinner one. If you are using secondhand/reconditioned then worth double checking.
I got my new AEB ones from homebrew online.com. Think they were about £89 with free delivery but if you set up an account and subscribe to the loyalty points scheme you get a £5 voucher for every £100 you spend with them. You can use it on future purchases.

The taller thinner AEB ones are the current new ones. Think they've been in production for a couple of years now, so if you are buying new should be a taller thinner one. If you are using secondhand/reconditioned then worth double checking.
I got my new AEB ones from homebrew online.com. Think they were about £89 with free delivery but if you set up an account and subscribe to the loyalty points scheme you get a £5 voucher for every £100 you spend with them. You can use it on future purchases.
Thanks very much. I’ll go with taller thinner as advised.

Where did you buy from please ?
I got my first keg from The Malt Miller as part of a keg plus accessories deal. It was the shorter, slightly wider AEB keg. The two taller ones I got were from The Homebrew Company. Can't say I am exactly sure they are AEB ones as they have different stamps on them. One is from the C&C soda pop company and the other is from the USA. But I think they might be the classic former Coca Cola corny kegs.

Latest posts

Back