Which brand of faucet tap?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockerhoop

Reaction score
Hi
I need a faucet for a corny keg I've just bought. There seem to be a few to choose from. Is there much difference in quality between brands. Any recommendations. I'm looking to attach it straight onto the disconnect.
Thanks in advance.

Having spent oodles of money on a variety of Beer Taps I discovered “Party Tap” at Amazon!

£7.99 for two or £10.99 with a 3/16th ball connector and a 3m length of tubing! (*)

I don’t know how long they will last, but easy to dismantle and sanitise.

(*) The tubing is clear so to prevent “skunking” I’ve covered mine. See photo! The covered ones are on the right!
:hat:

1BC6D126-0F4B-4B08-9CAC-28369B84FDCB.jpeg

If you are new to kegging the Ultra Twist Tap which controls the flow, you can get a stainless disconnect which gives a lower profile.

004.JPG

Note that if you're thinking of attaching it straight to the keg then you'll need a flow-control disconnect.

Those Ultra Twist Taps look the bee's knees:
If you are new to kegging the Ultra Twist Tap ...
But I'm a snob and want the gold (coloured!) plated ones. Does anyone know where to get them in the UK?

I have 2 Nukataps and they’ve been great with a lot of use over the last 2 years.

I do like the look of the UltraTwist and when the KK stuff starts coming through I’d be tempted because I’m thinking about adding a third tap (I have 2 plus a Pint365 hand pump at the moment but I’d like the flexibility of just having 3 keg-style beers as well as 2 keg-style and one cask-style.

i have two forward-sealing flow-control taps that i've used direct from cornies for a few years; one is an intertap and one a nukatap.

i prefer the nukatap as it feels a bit nicer, but both work just the same. the nukatap has some plastic innards vs the intertap's metal.

Kegland have a new flowcontrol disconnect out which they claim is much better than a flow control tap, might be the solution for short beer line runs:

As for a tap I've used intertap and generic ones and didnt see a huge difference, thats assuming you have the correct length of beer line...

With the Ultra twist there isn't a need for any other gadgetry, fit it straight onto the disconnect. Easy to use even for a novice, the side flow controls have never been the best.

With the Ultra twist there isn't a need for any other gadgetry, fit it straight onto the disconnect. Easy to use even for a novice, the side flow controls have never been the best.

Er … from the video it is still a tap that isn’t spring loaded to close!

Clumsy? Me? Either that or I’m in a confined space so “Yes, I’m afraid so!”

Over the years, I’ve knocked or left my tap “open” and lost gallons of brew to the floor!

I now try not to use the tap or use it with an elaborate external spring mechanism. or a length of string through the handle to tie it closed when not in use!

Sorry, they may look ugly and not last all that long, but I can buy 10 plastic “Party Taps” for the price of a single brass one!
:hat:

can you put a spring in the ultratwist to auto close? i put one in my nukatap. that's another reason why the nukatap is better than the intertap.

Note that if you're thinking of attaching it straight to the keg then you'll need a flow-control disconnect.
Thanks for the replies.

Can you explain why I need a flow control disconnect and where I can get one from?

Also, I like the look of the ultra twist but can seem to find it anywhere in the UK.

you don't need that if the tap you buy has flow control.

you also won't be able to attach a tap directly to the keg with a liquid disconnect that does not have the outlet angled upwards because the rubber top of the corny will be in the way (unless your corny is the kind which has cut-outs in the rubber top for easier access to the posts).

to illustrate:
IMG_20220609_184601.jpg

you don't need that if the tap you buy has flow control.

you also won't be able to attach a tap directly to the keg with a liquid disconnect that does not have the outlet angled upwards because the rubber top of the corny will be in the way (unless your corny is the kind which has cut-outs in the rubber top for easier access to the posts).

to illustrate:
View attachment 69761
Cutouts in the rubber are easy to make with a hacksaw. I made one in each of mine to make it easier to route from the back of the tap as it pokes through the keezer collar.

Bought and use one of these, not great.
You'll get better results with 3mm internal tube balanced for length pressure etc you won't need yards of tube. In fact 6 foot of 4mm is near the mark and it coils up neatly, can even coil it around the kegand hide it under jacket.
Just use the tools and it will work nicely.

this is getting rather complicated for a person who just got their first corny and wants to dispense straight from the keg.

as someone who dispenses their beer just like op asked, my advice is this:

1. buy a normal black angled liquid out disconnect

2. buy a flow-control nukatap (it's worth over an intertap)

3. enjoy your beer!

4. if needed, buy an auto-close spring

5. buy a tap stopper/cleaner (it keeps the beer-loving slugs off my taps that live in the garage).

Latest posts

Back