Which conical?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a conical fermenter and getting rid of some of my bucket fermenters. I'd like to :

1. dry hop
  2. harvest yeast
  3. dump trub
  4. pressure ferment
  5. dispense

My funds aren't endless, I'm looking at the likes of the Fermzilla gen2 starter kit or fast Ferment. I'm assuming I will need a pressure kit to ferment under pressure and dispense.

What would you recommend from experience?

You can’t pressure ferment in the FastFerment I believe.

Your choice really is between the Fermzilla and the Fermentasaurus for all the things you want to do. The advantage with the newer Fermentasaurus range is that the pressure kit comes as standard with it whereas the Fermzilla is an added extra.

Little bit of a bump here, considering a conical for my birthday as the wife is badgering me what to get.

At this moment I dont know if I will pressure ferment, but future proofing seems sensible. Likewise with harvesting yeast but removal of trub and the pursuit of clear beer is a big thing for me so a conical with that capability seems sensible.

Other questions..... What are these like to clean? Is there anything else I need to take into consideration? How do you transfer out of them? I dont see a tap on the side? I believe some of them have a floating dip tube which you can use (presumably need pressure for thag)

Did you come to a decision cheyne?

I bought myself a 27l Fermzilla gen 2 with pressure kit v1 in the end. Currently sat with 25 litres of Batemans Victory clone at the end of a weeks yeasty action. Got the lot for £150 delivered so not too expensive really.

If you can stretch your budget (or your wife’s, or you go halves!) I’d highly recommend the SsBrewtech Chronical. Bit of bling in a way but I absolutely love it and how easy to use, clean, pressurised transfer, harvest, etc. I have a few vids online with various processes - search brewbru on YouTube.

Latest posts

Back