Which fridge/freezer is the best to build yourself a kegerator/keezer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leard

Reaction score
I'm keen to build myself one and I'm trying to determine what's the best way to do it. I've already thought out a few of the pros and cons a bit but was hoping for more input about what's the best way to go about this.

Now I love a good table so let's do it like this:

Pros
Cons
Chest freezer
  • Lots of space, can easily fit two cornys and the CO2 in​
  • Easiest to make look presentable and the least freezer/fridge-like
  • Doesn't take up much space
  • Harder to get hold of secondhand one
  • DIY skill needed to build a collar
Undercounter freezer
  • Can probably fit two cornys in
  • Doesn't take up much space
  • Easy to obtain a secondhand one
  • Risks drilling into a freezer for gas and beer lines
  • Taps will be below waist height requiring you to bend down to dispense
Larder fridge
  • Lots of space, can easily fit two cornys and the CO2 in
  • Easy to drill into door to add in taps
  • Taps can be put at standing height
  • Very bulking. Would need delivery or a van to get one. Takes up more space
  • Hardest to look presentable
Undercounter fridge
  • Easy to drill into door to add in taps
  • Easier to find and the cheapest to get a secondhand one
  • Limited space, would struggle to fit two cornys in in most models
  • Taps will be below waist height requiring your to bend down to dispense

I'll add any more that people have to the table. Might be useful for anybody else considering their first build. If I've missed out any other methods other than those four, let me know as well.

I like your table @Leard . I am also in the same position as you. I just bought my first corny and have all the gear to mount a tap on the dining room wall (not sure how I got the green-light from Mrs Gif for that, but I won't question :confused.:
The under-counter fridges also often have small "freezer" compartments in one corner, taking up valuable keg room.
As I live in a typical victorian terrace, sapce is limited for me. I have measured out and think I can fit a small chest freezer under the stairs, which should in it be abe to fit 2 of the new AEB cornies (they're taller and slimmer than most of the refurbed ones). Of course, I'll be sure to measure internal freezer dimensions before purchasing. I plan to put it on wheels so I can take it into the living room when I have friends over to watch the football.
I also know what you meen when you say the chest freezers are easiest to make it look presentable. I am planning on doing a scaled-down version of what Dudes Brews did on YouTube (he did a 5-part keezer build series).

Depends on your car as to whether you’d need delivery for a larder fridge. I have transported both of mine in the back of my Renault Kadjar with the seats down. The bigger of the 2 was a bit scary though as I couldn’t see out of the passenger window or back window (I hadn’t realised it was going to be bigger than the first one at the time as they were the same make so
I assumed they would be the same size).

Latest posts

Back