which Hops to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have 4 single can Pale Ale extract kits which I plan to make IPA's with.
I also have 3 x 100g each of Citra, Simcoe & Summit.
Could maybe anyone advise differing combos and amounts that I could try in each of the 4 batches.
Dont want to do a Simcoe/Summit one for example if they dont go together or perhaps one hop is so overpowering that it be recommended id use less of that one.
Look forward to any input.
TY

Check out hoplist and read the hop profiles it gives a good description of each hop.
U can come up with an idea and know what to expect

Your canned Pale Ale will already have been bittered, probably to around 30IBU ish, so generally you only need late hopping, although you could also do a short boil to up the bitterness a bit.

Just do a general search for AG recipes using the hops you have and omit the first 60min hop addition for bittering. e.g. here's one for a single-hop Citra brew, just do the 37g 0min addition (30min steep) and the 47g 5 day dry hop. Single hop Citra | American Pale Ale All Grain Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend

The hops in strength of flavour order are Citra, Simcoe and Summit.
I would as suggested just use each one on its own so you can judge there own merits.
Of the 3 Summit is has the least flavour but it does make a lovely Pale Ale as it does not over power the beer into a IPA IMO.
Ps do be aware of the IBU's unless you are ok with high IBU beers as said the cans will have already been hopped up

The hops in strength of flavour order are Citra, Simcoe and Summit.
I would as suggested just use each one on its own so you can judge there own merits.
Of the 3 Summit is has the least flavour but it does make a lovely Pale Ale as it does not over power the beer into a IPA IMO.
Ps do be aware of the IBU's unless you are ok with high IBU beers as said the cans will have already been hopped up
+ 1. If you didn't used them in a SH before. It's very nice test for your own each hop, alone, to know how they work.

I only ever used a beer kit twice in over 40 years of brewing and gave up on them because they were always disappointing; nowhere near the real thing. However despite all of that I would suggest you try your Citra at a rate depending on how bitter you want it. Try (assuming you're making 5 galls) 3oz in the copper, 1/2 oz as a late copper addition, and 1 oz for dry hopping. For my crisp, hoppy and fruity pale ale I use 2oz Pilgrim and 1 oz Challenger. Late hopping with Challenger and 1.5 oz Bramling X as dry hops per 5 galls.

Back