Which Hydrometer/Refractometer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson1984

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, I guess this is an opinion based query but at the moment, I don't really use anything, I brew kits and leave things to do what they're doing and go from there.

But as with my other posts, I'm aiming to go AG in the new year so assume I need to be more informed about what's going on and when.

Now I really like the idea of the snub nose fermentasaurus, this will however mean that everything is pressurised and all samples will come without removing the lid, via I assume a pipe from one of the ball locks etc.

anyway, what would you recommend - I'd prefer something digital really

https://www.marinefishshop.co.uk/milwaukee-digital-refractometer/?v=3f22c5e13e98
this is what i'm thinking of going for.

Save your money, there's no need to spend £140 on something to measure specific gravity. Hydrometer, £3.50 from Wilko: clicky Get two, because you'll likely break one at the most inconvenient time.
Seconded.

I found it hard to read at first but not being so tight with the amount of liquid being used has made it easier. I also got a 15 quid refactometer from Amazon and it measured water as zero but then a wine reading came out very differently to a hydrometer reading so I'm sticking to the tried and tested.

Agree with what SS & BB say above. A hydrometer measures the relative density of your wort or beer, a refractometer measures the extent to which the liquid refracts (bends) light. Both will do the same job for wort (measure the original gravity), but because the refractomer reading is affected by the presence of alcohol, it is not suitable for measuring the final gravity of the beer post fermentation. On the flip side, a refractometer is far quicker to use, easier to read and wastes less wort.

I still use a Wilko hydrometer and a cheap refractometer, but I am on the look out for something easier for my poor old eyes to read. My hydrometer has a range from 0.990 to 1.130, all squashed up into about 3 inches, I am looking for a precision hydrometer such as this Precision Hydro, unfortunately they seem to be out of stock everywhere at present.

Glass hydrometer for cold.
Cheap Amazon refractometer for hot.

I know ‘everybody’ knows this, but a refractometer will read differently once any alcohol is present so either be prepared to do the maths or used a hydrometer once fermentarion has begun.
I didn't so thanks athumb..

I have a refractometer for sale, that I got from Brew2Bottle in the summer.
I just can’t get on with it.

I have used both and to be honest much prefer the refractometer, to combat the action of alcohol as on the readings i use the attached excel file which does the maths for you. have checked results against hydrometer and find it very accuarate

Attachments

• Refractory gravity readings.xls
    412.5 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the Excel calculator private4587, I just tested it on one of my beers and it was spot on athumb...
The only minor thing is you need to work in Brix , I always use OG, but minor details. Slight hack to the spreadsheet would fix it.

Latest posts

Back