Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Palm Springs and I absolutely loved it. Red Letter can for once choke on my cock (Mike, I'd never do that to Jay). I really adored it.
Had to Google that one, Andy Samberg? That makes me dubious.

I watched a couple of movies last weekend, oldies but acting masterclasses in both. First up was Primal Fear, and although I already knew the twist ending I still rather enjoyed it. An interesting enough story and Ed Norton is brilliant as always.

Next was The King of Comedy which after all the Joker comparisons I thought I really should watch. I loved this, another masterclass from Robert De Niro (great performances all round actually) playing a much more subtle wierdo than the Joker although the similarities in the two movies are undeniable. Absolutely worth a watch, especially as it's now on Amazon prime.

I thought Joker was absolute ****. I think the problem when you've seen loads of films is that what's "meh - know that story" is new and wow for someone else.

I also think Moon is a snorefest, again because of been there done that it's no surprise.

Palm Springs is Andy Samberg but he's playing what he's good at. It's not Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine, or Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love kinda well I never, but the role fits him.

I think the problem when you've seen loads of films is that what's "meh - know that story" is new and wow for someone else.
Hmm, I sort of agree but then surely you can enjoy a movie on a level other than story originality?

If it's done well enough. Joker and Moon didn't do it for me.
That's fair, I have to admit though I loved Moon. King of Comedy is definitely a better movie than Joker, if not so much of a crowd pleaser.

Actually another movie I watched last week was The King, a Netflix original about Henry V. It was fine, a bit dull and forgettable, but good performances again and fairly well made with a couple of nice long takes during the battle scene that were pretty impressive (on a technical level at least).

I watched 2/3 of Burn After Reading again before I realised it sucked more than I remembered it did.

I think I might have accidentally adjusted my memory of it with scenes from Men Who Stare At Goats (which was awesome) inserted in to take away from the banality of my memory of this movie.

although I googled men who stare at goats and came across a serious man from the coen's that I haven't heard of, anyone seen this?
Yep it's an odd one for sure, even for the Coens, but definitely worth a watch. I really liked it, my wife hated it, but I think that's because she watched it on a purely superficial level but there's more to it than that, as any Coens fan would probably expect.

I am back watching films with my children I used to watch as a child. They love the Goonies, what a show. Hard to believe it was made in 1985.
Ghost busters, Harry and the Henderson's plus ET.

I am back watching films with my children I used to watch as a child. They love the Goonies, what a show. Hard to believe it was made in 1985.
Ghost busters, Harry and the Henderson's plus ET.
The Goonies is brilliant!
We watched Back to the Future with my son the other day, he loved it lol

A couple of nights ago I watched The Lighthouse with Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe. At first I wasn't too sure what to make of it, but in hindsight I think I sort of loved it. I'm going to have to give it another watch to be sure, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting which may have influenced my initial uncertainty. I don't know why but I was expecting a more straight-up psychological horror, but it was more subtle and ambiguous, not that that's a bad thing at all. I think a lot of people would hate it because it's a bit art-housey, not a simple story narrative but very much open to interpretation, and although I picked up on the Prometheus references and symbolism there's no doubt a lot more to it than that, and I was probably way off in some of my interpretations.

But undoubtedly a beautiful looking movie, the black and white fits the atmospherics perfectly, plus the soundtrack and sound design add a real sense of dread and unease. Great performances from both the actors too, this is the first time I've seen a Robert Pattinson movie and he was brilliant. Check this one out for something a bit different, you'll probably love it or hate it but I suspect it'll incite some sort of reaction at least.

A couple of nights ago I watched The Lighthouse with Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe. At first I wasn't too sure what to make of it, but in hindsight I think I sort of loved it. I'm going to have to give it another watch to be sure, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting which may have influenced my initial uncertainty. I don't know why but I was expecting a more straight-up psychological horror, but it was more subtle and ambiguous, not that that's a bad thing at all. I think a lot of people would hate it because it's a bit art-housey, not a simple story narrative but very much open to interpretation, and although I picked up on the Prometheus references and symbolism there's no doubt a lot more to it than that, and I was probably way off in some of my interpretations.

But undoubtedly a beautiful looking movie, the black and white fits the atmospherics perfectly, plus the soundtrack and sound design add a real sense of dread and unease. Great performances from both the actors too, this is the first time I've seen a Robert Pattinson movie and he was brilliant. Check this one out for something a bit different, you'll probably love it or hate it but I suspect it'll incite some sort of reaction at least.

I was surprised by Robert Pattinson in the film, The Rover. It's a kind of post apocalyptic Western hybrid set in Australia. Guy Pearce is also in it and is very good as usual. Great film, well worth a look.

I watched a couple of movies last weekend, oldies but acting masterclasses in both. First up was Primal Fear, and although I already knew the twist ending I still rather enjoyed it. An interesting enough story and Ed Norton is brilliant as always.

Next was The King of Comedy which after all the Joker comparisons I thought I really should watch. I loved this, another masterclass from Robert De Niro (great performances all round actually) playing a much more subtle wierdo than the Joker although the similarities in the two movies are undeniable. Absolutely worth a watch, especially as it's now on Amazon prime.

I love The King of Comedy. Brilliant film and De Niro is incredible. You've reminded me that I need to watch it again (seen it many times, but not for a few years).

Last movie I watched was The Karate Kid a few weeks back. We're introducing my daughter to 80s classics and that was next on the list.

Latest posts

Back