Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I watched Passengers and it was just OK. To be honest I felt that it was rather a wasted premise and that in the hands of a better writer (Charlie Kaufman comes to mind for some reason) focusing on the characters and leaving out the action movie guff at the end it could be fantastic.

There are some really interesting themes and particularly focusing on the character's choice, can I essentially ruin someone else's life, destroy their hopes and dreams to make my life more bearable, and the impact that would have on both of them, as well as the effect of isolation that leads a good person to even contemplate such a thing, has a huge scope for exploration. Unfortunately it seemed a little shallow and glossed over a lot of those interesting ideas in favour of an action-sci-fi ending which I found a bit unsatisfying. A real shame because it has such a good premise.

Watched Reach for The Sky with Kenneth Moore the other day. It's a reminder of how much the world has changed (for the better but still has a long way to go). I wonder what the health care for less privileged people would have been like if they'd lost two legs down the mine? And just how sexist was it, I found myself cringing at points.

I watched Venom (Netflix) last night, based on the Marvel comics Spider-man world character. Tom Hardy plays Eddie Brock who becomes host to the alien parasite known as Venom which gives him super powers.

I've gone off marvel stuff over the last few years and I've missed most of big releases. However, I'd been keen to see Venom as it's not part of the MCU and is a bit more adult orientated (bit darker/more violent). I was also a big fan of the spider-man and venom saga as a kid.

Anyway, the movie was OK but Tom Hardy was great as usual and made it worth watching. There was some humour too and in general it doesn't take itself too seriously (probably just as well). The movie has a good ending and tees up an attractive looking sequal due out next year with Woody Harelson.

On Thursday the missus was working, so my son and I watched 'Dawn Wall' on Amazon - the documentary about the extraordinary life of legendary climber Tommy Caldwell, and his obsession with making the first free ascent of the Dawn Wall of El Capitan. It was utterly compelling and truly inspirational (and I do not use the word lightly) film... can't recommend it highly enough

Last night I watched Passengers and it was just OK.
favour of an action-sci-fi ending which I found a bit unsatisfying. A real shame because it has such a good premise.
Oh very much agree with your take on this, some really interesting ideas, but not explored well, a bit too much time on the technicological process, and too little on the characterisation. Still worth watching but yes a bit meh.

Anna

Recently watched with my grand daughter lots of disney films Trolls is good, i mainly like comedy some of the one liners kill me, the other night i watched the martian which i enjoyed, one i really enjoyed was i can never remember the name of it, the guy who invented the itermitant wash wipe in his basement and his struggle with the big car companys

On Thursday the missus was working, so my son and I watched 'Dawn Wall' on Amazon - the documentary about the extraordinary life of legendary climber Tommy Caldwell, and his obsession with making the first free ascent of the Dawn Wall of El Capitan. It was utterly compelling and truly inspirational (and I do not use the word lightly) film... can't recommend it highly enough
Great documentary, you should check out free solo and meru as well. Really good to watch

For a good 'thoughtful' Sci-Fi movie I can recommend Gattaca
1600008084689.png

I watched Venom (Netflix) last night, based on the Marvel comics Spider-man world character. Tom Hardy plays Eddie Brock who becomes host to the alien parasite known as Venom which gives him super powers.

I've gone off marvel stuff over the last few years and I've missed most of big releases. However, I'd been keen to see Venom as it's not part of the MCU and is a bit more adult orientated (bit darker/more violent). I was also a big fan of the spider-man and venom saga as a kid.

Anyway, the movie was OK but Tom Hardy was great as usual and made it worth watching. There was some humour too and in general it doesn't take itself too seriously (probably just as well). The movie has a good ending and tees up an attractive looking sequal due out next year with Woody Harelson.
Yeah I quite enjoyed venom and I’m really not a fan of super hero movies. I think they’ve been done to death. Didn’t know there was a sequel coming out. I’ll keep an eye out for that. Tom Hardy is just brilliant in everything though. One of my favourite actors. i think one of his best movies that went under the radar with a lot of people was Locke. Not many actors can pull off sitting in your car for 2 hours, but it’s a really powerful film.

Anyone enjoy Fargo 1996
Fargo was great and loved the series that followed it! Anything the Cohen brothers do is pure class! On a similar theme we’ve just finished the second season of Lillehammer. It’s like a cross between Fargo and the Sopranos! Highly recommended!

Yeah I quite enjoyed venom and I’m really not a fan of super hero movies. I think they’ve been done to death. Didn’t know there was a sequel coming out. I’ll keep an eye out for that. Tom Hardy is just brilliant in everything though. One of my favourite actors. i think one of his best movies that went under the radar with a lot of people was Locke. Not many actors can pull off sitting in your car for 2 hours, but it’s a really powerful film.
Locke is a very good film👍

Haven't watched many films recently as I started watching 'Sons Of Anarchy' with the Mrs...both addicted so no time for films. On season 4 so should be finished in a couple of weeks

Latest posts

Back